Going by the decision of the Non-elective National Convention of the country’s opposition party which held in Abuja on Saturday 12th, August 2017, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Caretaker Committee has extended, by four months, the tenure of Senator Ahmed Makarfi as the Caretaker Committee Chairman.
The extension is in order to allow time to, reorganize, strengthen and prepare the party to conduct an elective National Convention to elect new officers for PDP. Party members voted overwhelmingly for extension of the tenure of the Caretaker Committee at the convention, which held at the Eagles Square with over 5000 members in attendance.
This is the first national gathering of the party members since the Supreme Court judgement that reaffirmed Senator Ahmed Makarfi as the Caretaker Committee Chairman after ousting the former chairman, Ali Sheriff.
The party equally dissolved the executive committees of its party in 7 states of Adamawa, Borno, Kebbi, Kwara, Lagos, Ogun and Osun States. The dissolution of executives, according to party leaders, was the fall out of the crises bedeviling the party in the affected state in which case, parallel and conflicting organs had arisen.
The National Convention in addition, mandated the Makarfi-led National Caretaker Committee to set up caretaker Committees which in turn would conduct states and local government congresses in the 7 states by the party’s mandate.
Also, the PDP ratified the results of the Congresses which successfully held across the states of the federation between May and March in 2016. Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Senate Caucus, Sen. Godswill Akpabio, assured that the party will not support any separatist agenda in the country.
Governor Akpabio assured of the PDP’s support to policies of the present administration, which were aimed at taking the country out of recession but, however, said that the party would not support any policy that would plunge the country into depression.
Former President Goodluck Jonathan, his former Deputy Namadi Sambo, Chairman of the 2017 Special Non-Elective National Convention Planning Committee, Sen. Arthur I. Okowa, former Governor of Akwa Ibom state and Senate Minority Leader, Chief Godswill Akpabio and Chairman of the Board of Trustees (BOT), Sen. Walid Jubril were in attendance. Also in attendance were Governors Ekiti, Ayodele Fayose, River state, Chief Nyesom Wike, Akwa Ibom, Emmanuel Udum, Taraba state, Arc. Darius Ishaku, Gombe state, Dr. Ibrahim Hassan Dankwanbo, Deputy Governor of Bayelsa state, Rear Admiral, John Jonah, Deputy Governor of Cross River state, Professor Ivara Esu, Deputy Governor of Ebonyi state, Dr. Eric Kelechi Igwe, National Vice Chairmen, State Chairmen, Party stalwarts and other leaders of the PDP nationwide.
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''