The ruling party had set up a nine-man committee headed by the governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to review the demands of Nigerians for the restructuring of the country and to provide a framework that will guide its implementation.
Oyegun who spoke at the Catholic Bishops’ Conference that took place in Jalingo, Taraba State at the weekend said: “APC has responded to agitations for structural reforms of the country’s political architecture and to structure the debate for the benefit of the sustained unity, peace and progress of the country by constituting a broad-based committee to provide a framework that will guide the process.”
According to Oyegun, APC had constituted the broad-based committee with the Kaduna State governor as chairman to review the reports of all past constitutional conferences, the APC constitution, manifesto and campaign promises of the party to distil the position of the APC as regard to Nigeria’s federalism.
He said the recommendations of the committee will be reviewed by the party organs and a framework for implementation of the report will be presented to the government.
“As a governing party, the vision for our country is clear and it is to steer it to peace, progress and the restoration of hope for a better tomorrow for all our people.
“The APC is committed to working hard to achieve this vision by building and consolidating on the successes so far achieved while striving for accelerated growth and development.
“The recommendations of the committee will be reviewed by the party organs and a framework for the implementation of the accepted report will be presented to the government,” he said.
Speaking on the criticism of the APC-led administration, Oyegun said despite the daunting challenges, President Muhammadu Buhari has performed creditably.
Oyegun told the bishops that the APC-led administration has delivered on key aspects of its promises to Nigerians.
“I am happy to confirm to your Lordships that while there is much work to be done, the President Buhari-led APC administration has been able to achieve a lot in its over two years of stewardship,” he said.
The statement issued yesterday by the publicity unit of the APC said Oyegun also used the opportunity to meet with the party’s stakeholders in Taraba State to assess the leadership and the general running of the party in the state.
Oyegun said during the 2015 campaign, APC had focused on three core areas, namely, the fight against corruption, stabilising the economy and restoration of peace and security in the country.
He recounted that the achievements of the administration included the fight against the insurgency, tackling corruption, and revamping of the economy through the implementation of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) and stringent monitoring of expenditure.
“Your Lordships, the state of the nation is strong. The difficult conditions in which the APC administration took over have been stabilised and the country is headed in the right direction.
“The weak economy is being diversified through an aggressive focus on agriculture, development of solid minerals, the creative industry, and other viable sectors.
“Today, the Buhari administration is transforming the nation’s economy from being oil-dependent and consumer-based to a multi-sector and production-based economy.
“The economy is currently being directed on the path of inclusive growth in which the weaker elements of the society are not left behind but supported through social safety nets.
“The political space is liberal and individuals and groups are able to freely express their opinions without repression. National peace and security challenges are being tackled assiduously and the future of the country is bright,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash