The ruling party had set up a nine-man committee headed by the governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to review the demands of Nigerians for the restructuring of the country and to provide a framework that will guide its implementation.
Oyegun who spoke at the Catholic Bishops’ Conference that took place in Jalingo, Taraba State at the weekend said: “APC has responded to agitations for structural reforms of the country’s political architecture and to structure the debate for the benefit of the sustained unity, peace and progress of the country by constituting a broad-based committee to provide a framework that will guide the process.”
According to Oyegun, APC had constituted the broad-based committee with the Kaduna State governor as chairman to review the reports of all past constitutional conferences, the APC constitution, manifesto and campaign promises of the party to distil the position of the APC as regard to Nigeria’s federalism.
He said the recommendations of the committee will be reviewed by the party organs and a framework for implementation of the report will be presented to the government.
“As a governing party, the vision for our country is clear and it is to steer it to peace, progress and the restoration of hope for a better tomorrow for all our people.
“The APC is committed to working hard to achieve this vision by building and consolidating on the successes so far achieved while striving for accelerated growth and development.
“The recommendations of the committee will be reviewed by the party organs and a framework for the implementation of the accepted report will be presented to the government,” he said.
Speaking on the criticism of the APC-led administration, Oyegun said despite the daunting challenges, President Muhammadu Buhari has performed creditably.
Oyegun told the bishops that the APC-led administration has delivered on key aspects of its promises to Nigerians.
“I am happy to confirm to your Lordships that while there is much work to be done, the President Buhari-led APC administration has been able to achieve a lot in its over two years of stewardship,” he said.
The statement issued yesterday by the publicity unit of the APC said Oyegun also used the opportunity to meet with the party’s stakeholders in Taraba State to assess the leadership and the general running of the party in the state.
Oyegun said during the 2015 campaign, APC had focused on three core areas, namely, the fight against corruption, stabilising the economy and restoration of peace and security in the country.
He recounted that the achievements of the administration included the fight against the insurgency, tackling corruption, and revamping of the economy through the implementation of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) and stringent monitoring of expenditure.
“Your Lordships, the state of the nation is strong. The difficult conditions in which the APC administration took over have been stabilised and the country is headed in the right direction.
“The weak economy is being diversified through an aggressive focus on agriculture, development of solid minerals, the creative industry, and other viable sectors.
“Today, the Buhari administration is transforming the nation’s economy from being oil-dependent and consumer-based to a multi-sector and production-based economy.
“The economy is currently being directed on the path of inclusive growth in which the weaker elements of the society are not left behind but supported through social safety nets.
“The political space is liberal and individuals and groups are able to freely express their opinions without repression. National peace and security challenges are being tackled assiduously and the future of the country is bright,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident