The ruling party had set up a nine-man committee headed by the governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to review the demands of Nigerians for the restructuring of the country and to provide a framework that will guide its implementation.
Oyegun who spoke at the Catholic Bishops’ Conference that took place in Jalingo, Taraba State at the weekend said: “APC has responded to agitations for structural reforms of the country’s political architecture and to structure the debate for the benefit of the sustained unity, peace and progress of the country by constituting a broad-based committee to provide a framework that will guide the process.”
According to Oyegun, APC had constituted the broad-based committee with the Kaduna State governor as chairman to review the reports of all past constitutional conferences, the APC constitution, manifesto and campaign promises of the party to distil the position of the APC as regard to Nigeria’s federalism.
He said the recommendations of the committee will be reviewed by the party organs and a framework for implementation of the report will be presented to the government.
“As a governing party, the vision for our country is clear and it is to steer it to peace, progress and the restoration of hope for a better tomorrow for all our people.
“The APC is committed to working hard to achieve this vision by building and consolidating on the successes so far achieved while striving for accelerated growth and development.
“The recommendations of the committee will be reviewed by the party organs and a framework for the implementation of the accepted report will be presented to the government,” he said.
Speaking on the criticism of the APC-led administration, Oyegun said despite the daunting challenges, President Muhammadu Buhari has performed creditably.
Oyegun told the bishops that the APC-led administration has delivered on key aspects of its promises to Nigerians.
“I am happy to confirm to your Lordships that while there is much work to be done, the President Buhari-led APC administration has been able to achieve a lot in its over two years of stewardship,” he said.
The statement issued yesterday by the publicity unit of the APC said Oyegun also used the opportunity to meet with the party’s stakeholders in Taraba State to assess the leadership and the general running of the party in the state.
Oyegun said during the 2015 campaign, APC had focused on three core areas, namely, the fight against corruption, stabilising the economy and restoration of peace and security in the country.
He recounted that the achievements of the administration included the fight against the insurgency, tackling corruption, and revamping of the economy through the implementation of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) and stringent monitoring of expenditure.
“Your Lordships, the state of the nation is strong. The difficult conditions in which the APC administration took over have been stabilised and the country is headed in the right direction.
“The weak economy is being diversified through an aggressive focus on agriculture, development of solid minerals, the creative industry, and other viable sectors.
“Today, the Buhari administration is transforming the nation’s economy from being oil-dependent and consumer-based to a multi-sector and production-based economy.
“The economy is currently being directed on the path of inclusive growth in which the weaker elements of the society are not left behind but supported through social safety nets.
“The political space is liberal and individuals and groups are able to freely express their opinions without repression. National peace and security challenges are being tackled assiduously and the future of the country is bright,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?