An official of the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), Dr Isiaka Olarewaju, has said that Nigeria would need harmonization strategy on data gathering to achieve even development.
Olarewaju, a director in charge of the real sector and household statistics, NBS, made this disclosure in an interview with the Newsmen on Monday in Abuja.
The director said that the bureau had advanced in its mandate of gathering and processing data but still had a problem of getting data from relevant agencies. “To the best of my knowledge, our problem is not handling big volume of data; It is about the harmonization of the data gathered.
For instance, NBS will not be able to release the social statistics bulletin except all agencies supplying the data release the data, as it applies to their own operations. “If for instance, if we have to publish a statistical book for a particular year, every relevant statistical agency has its own input to give us the data for that particular reference period. “If only one of them is defaulting, the data will not be released at the right time.
So, we need to have a kind of harmonization strategy, whereby at the press of a button, you get relevant data from relevant agencies,’’ he said. According to him, harmonization of data collation and collection is the bane of repositioning data capturing.
He also said that the bureau had been repositioned for data revolution and to handle big volume of data. “We can handle big volume of data; we have even gone to the stage of using electronic means of collecting data from households. Already, right from the field, it is being transmitted online from the data collecting point to the national data processing center, which does not take time to analyze,’’ the official said. In addition, he said that the bureau had been carrying economic and social surveys, using the latest statistical methodology.
The official said that the bureau was currently working on some surveys such as Human Development Index and Labour Force Survey. “Labour Force Survey is used to determine the unemployment rate and the distribution of employed persons. “It is used to measure distribution of the employed so that the country can look at the gap and see which sector will demand intervention when it comes to employment opportunity. “Then, we have just released data on Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which is done quarterly. We have not achieved 100 per cent of what we plan for the year but we are still in the process of executing some of the planned projects,’’ he said.
The NBS, led by Dr. Yemi Kale, is the authoritative source and custodian of official statistics in Nigeria with the responsibility of developing and managing official statistics.
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident