INEC National Commissioner in charge of Oyo, Osun and Ekiti, gave the assurance in Ibadan after declaring open a one –day Implementing Meeting on INEC Weekly Radio Programme.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday assured Nigerians that the Nov. 18 governorship election in Anambra would hold as scheduled.
Chief Adedeji Soyebi, INEC National Commissioner in charge of Oyo, Osun and Ekiti, gave the assurance in Ibadan after declaring open a one –day Implementing Meeting on INEC Weekly Radio Programme.
He said the threat by a group over the conduct of the election should be seen as a mere security challenge which the security apparatus was taking good care of.
“We are ahead of time, continuous voter registration in Anambra have been concluded and in three or four weeks’ time, all the registered voters must have collected their voter cards.
“We are going to conduct the election by law, so the threat is just a security challenge and I am sure the security apparatus have strategised on how to take good care of it.
“The election will be one of the best elections they have ever witnessed. “So, Anambra people should expect a peaceful, free, fair and credible poll,’’ the INEC commissioner stated
Earlier, the INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, had enjoined all INEC staff, especially participants, to step up effective voters’ education and publicity to ensure all stakeholders were fully informed about electoral processes and activities.
Represented by Soyebi at the meeting, Yakubu said that the current national socio-economic challenges have a profound impact on voters’ attitude to electoral activities.
“Voter disinterest and apathy is pervasive in our electoral terrain, so we are constantly required to encourage and motivate the people to participate.
“The onus is on us to continuously remind them of the positive effect their participation can have on the polity,’’ the chairman said. He said that the commission had received approval for weekly enlightenment programmes on radio stations in all the states and FCT.
According to him, the radio is recognised as a powerful channel to reach the citizenry. He said the meeting was therefore an avenue to discuss modalities for the implementation of the weekly radio programme.
Yakubu implored the participants to continue to play effective part in sensitising the public to their civic duty of participation in the electoral process through regular education, exposure and positive influences.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that heads of Voter Education Units of INEC across the 36 states of the federation and FCT attended the meeting.
By NAN | 11 September 2017
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?