Chairman of The Patriots, Professor Ben Nwabueze, has described as unfortunate the attack on the home of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) by some soldiers of the Nigeria Army at the weekend.
The constitutional lawyer in a statement he personally signed and made available to The Authority, said the attack is of grave concern because it occurred at a time the country is facing destabilizing crisis and threats to its peaceful co-existence and at a time the South East Governors are making valiant efforts to contain the danger of the repercussions of the crisis by interventions with Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and the IPOB.
According to him, “The situation in the country calls for great restraint on the part of all, and for the Federal Government to take firm steps to restrain any actions capable of escalating the crisis, such as the reported attack on the home of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu in Umuahia.
On Sunday, it was reported that scores of youths were allegedly injured, as gunmen suspected to be soldiers, who came in Hilux Pick-up vans, allegedly attacked the Umuahia country home of leader of IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu.
The IPOB claimed that five people were killed and about 30 others were injured in the attack. However, videos of the clash showing clubs and stone-wielding youths, who clashed with the troop, indicated that scores were injured. One of the youths, who was shot on his right thigh was seen battling for life as his colleagues administered first aid.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has denied the attack and killings of anybody in Afaraukwu the home town of Nnamdi Kanu. The army in a statement signed by Major Oyegoke Gbadamosi, the Assistant Director Army Public Relations 14 Brigade Nigerian Army, said that the report was far from truth saying that ‘it was a group of suspected IPOB militants that blocked the road against troops of 145 Battalion while on show of force along FMC-Word Bank Road in Umuahia town, Abia State at about 6.00-6.30pm on Sunday.
The army further said the IPOB militants insisted that the military vehicles would not pass and started pelting the soldiers with stones and broken bottles to the point of injuring an innocent female passerby and a soldier, Corporal Kolawole Mathew. The troops fired warning shots in the air and the hoodlooms dispersed. No life was lost.
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident