Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State yesterday said the state is under siege of kidnappers and armed robbery even as a 16-year-old boy was paraded for gun running.
Governor Okorocha represented by the Secretary to the State Government Chief George Etche, made the remarks during the presentation of commendation awards to 28 police personnel for their diligence in solving crime.
Etche lamented that due to the menace of kidnappers and armed robbers, parents live in fears when their children go out, especially during the just-concluded holidays.
“These days, people spend so much to install iron doors and burglary protection when building houses, all because of robbers and kidnappers. Only yesterday while praying at home, my family thanked God for the safe return of our son from school”, Etche said.
Further, he commended the Police for their commitment to ensuring that people go to bed with their eyes closed, adding that the state Police Command deserves commendation for their commitment to the protection of lives and property.
Earlier, the State Commissioner of Police, Chris Ezike, disclosed that the Command apprehended 16-year-old Onyedikachi Iyaka who hails from Umuchokwu Ukwu village in Ehime Mbano Local Government with 400 rounds of chained General Purpose ammunition, 1,016 rounds of AK 47 live ammunition, one AK 47 empty magazine, one K2 empty magazine amongst other items.
Ezike said the suspect was arrested at Egbelu Awaka in Owerri North Local Government on Friday, September 8th following a tip-off.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash