There is anxiety in the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the camp on the party’s governorship candidate for the November 18 Anambra State election, Hon.Tony Nwoye.
This followed the petition of one the aspirants, Senator Andy Uba, who alleged irregularities in the August 26 party primary in Awka.
Uba, in his petition to the Hassan Lawal-led APC Guber Primary Election Appeal Panel in Abuja, claimed that Nwoye, a former national chairman of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), conscripted thugs and NANS members, who were forcefully accredited to vote for him at the primary.
He also alleged that there was fragrant swapping of delegates, adding that Nwoye and his group paid the real delegates between N20, 000 to N50,000 for them to relinquish their tags to his conscripted thugs and NANS members.
According to Uba, some members of the Anambra State Executive Committee of the APC were approached by the Nwoye group.
Uba therefore urged the Appeal Panel to declare him the winner of the primary, claiming that he pulled the highest number of legitimate votes in the exercise.
But, Nwoye, who appeared before the committee yesterday with a team of his supporters denied ever using thugs or NANS’ members for the election.
He lamented that all his efforts to reach out to Senator Uba since his emergence at the APC’s candidate for dialogue and reconciliation was rebuffed, adding that Uba did not only reject his several telephone calls to him but also refused to open his gate when he visited his country home.
“I came here with all the wards and Local Government party chairmen and secretaries from Anambra State in solidarity with me for my appearance before the Appeal Panel. I can describe my appearance before the Appeal Panel as a family meeting.
“They asked me if it is true that members of NANS were deployed to disrupt the primary and beat up the delegates. But I told them it was not true because no single member of NANS, former or current students was part of the primary election.
Explaining the position of the National Working Committee (NWC) on the Anambra governorship poll, APC National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, said that the panel’s report would be the final determinant.
Earlier, the state chairman of APC, Emeka Igwe, who also appeared before the panel, warned that any attempt by the APC NWC to annul the result of the Anambra primary will spell doom for the party in the November 18 election
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident