There is anxiety in the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the camp on the party’s governorship candidate for the November 18 Anambra State election, Hon.Tony Nwoye.
This followed the petition of one the aspirants, Senator Andy Uba, who alleged irregularities in the August 26 party primary in Awka.
Uba, in his petition to the Hassan Lawal-led APC Guber Primary Election Appeal Panel in Abuja, claimed that Nwoye, a former national chairman of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), conscripted thugs and NANS members, who were forcefully accredited to vote for him at the primary.
He also alleged that there was fragrant swapping of delegates, adding that Nwoye and his group paid the real delegates between N20, 000 to N50,000 for them to relinquish their tags to his conscripted thugs and NANS members.
According to Uba, some members of the Anambra State Executive Committee of the APC were approached by the Nwoye group.
Uba therefore urged the Appeal Panel to declare him the winner of the primary, claiming that he pulled the highest number of legitimate votes in the exercise.
But, Nwoye, who appeared before the committee yesterday with a team of his supporters denied ever using thugs or NANS’ members for the election.
He lamented that all his efforts to reach out to Senator Uba since his emergence at the APC’s candidate for dialogue and reconciliation was rebuffed, adding that Uba did not only reject his several telephone calls to him but also refused to open his gate when he visited his country home.
“I came here with all the wards and Local Government party chairmen and secretaries from Anambra State in solidarity with me for my appearance before the Appeal Panel. I can describe my appearance before the Appeal Panel as a family meeting.
“They asked me if it is true that members of NANS were deployed to disrupt the primary and beat up the delegates. But I told them it was not true because no single member of NANS, former or current students was part of the primary election.
Explaining the position of the National Working Committee (NWC) on the Anambra governorship poll, APC National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, said that the panel’s report would be the final determinant.
Earlier, the state chairman of APC, Emeka Igwe, who also appeared before the panel, warned that any attempt by the APC NWC to annul the result of the Anambra primary will spell doom for the party in the November 18 election
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?