As the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee (NWC) meets today to hear appeals arising from its gubernatorial primary election held on August 28, there are indications that the party is treading on a dangerous ground over the forthcoming Anambra State governorship poll. This is because the party’s flagbearer, Mr. Oseloka Obaze, was not properly cleared by the PDP national leaders.
Sources said that the “provisional clearance” granted by both the screening and the appeal committees is doubtful, as there was no record of waiver for the candidate either in the National Working Committee (NWC) or in the National Executive Committee (NEC) minutes.
One of the competent sources in the PDP said that if the party does not do anything quick to address this aberration, it may affect the party on the long run.
Obaze who defected from the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) to the PDP was Secretary to the State Government (SSG) during the administration of Peter Obi in Anambra State.
The source added that fielding Obaze as the candidate of PDP will not speak well of the party, as a case of perjury which is a criminal charge, could be made by anybody against him even if he emerges victorious in the governorship election should the party insist on submitting his name to Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The source said: “Mr. Obaze was not cleared as at the close of nomination. Mr. Obaze was granted ‘provisional clearance’ both by the screening committee and the appeal committee. This approval or provisional clearance is subject to the National Caretaker Committee recommendation of his waiver to NEC.
“Till date, no meeting of NWC or NEC was held where Mr. Obaze’s waiver application is reflected in the minutes. The implication of this scenario is that Mr. Obaze as at the date he filled and submitted his nomination forms was not qualified to contest the election.
“It does not matter if the caretaker committee or NEC grants him waiver today or even back date it to the day of screening as every material facts confirmed even by his own admission in various press releases did not have waiver as at when he filled and submitted his forms.
“By the way, the use of the word ‘provisional’ connotes not full, not permanent or obsolete but temporary subject to certain performance. What is this performance? When will the said performance be carried out? A cursory glance at the clearance certificate will reveal that it has only two provisions viz: Cleared/Not Cleared. Where did they manufacture Provisional Clearance?
“The danger of our party nominating a defective candidate is too grave for us to contemplate. A stich in time saves nine! Furthermore, if indeed Mr. Obaze at the time of filling his form knew that he did not have a waiver or that his waiver was still being processed, why did he indicate that he had a waiver in the form? A case of perjury which is a criminal offence could be made by anybody against him even if he emerges victorious in the governorship election should the party insist on submitting his name to INEC,” the source said.
Documents made available showed that the party national leaders had been petitioned by obe Obiagulu Chukwurah, over the provisional clearance granted to Obaze, with the allegation that the candidate has not attained the statutory two years’ membership period nor secure the required waiver to make him eligible and be cleared.
According to the documents, the screening committee, which had scrutinised them, recommended that “the provisional clearance granted the aspirant should be upheld and that the process of granting waiver be hasten by National Caretaker Committee to prevent any future legal problems.”
But, Chukwurah pointed out that granting Obaze waiver, which, has not be properly documented, would cause a chain of legal battles for the party on the long run, as the development is an abuse of the party’s constitution.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me