As the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee (NWC) meets today to hear appeals arising from its gubernatorial primary election held on August 28, there are indications that the party is treading on a dangerous ground over the forthcoming Anambra State governorship poll. This is because the party’s flagbearer, Mr. Oseloka Obaze, was not properly cleared by the PDP national leaders.
Sources said that the “provisional clearance” granted by both the screening and the appeal committees is doubtful, as there was no record of waiver for the candidate either in the National Working Committee (NWC) or in the National Executive Committee (NEC) minutes.
One of the competent sources in the PDP said that if the party does not do anything quick to address this aberration, it may affect the party on the long run.
Obaze who defected from the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) to the PDP was Secretary to the State Government (SSG) during the administration of Peter Obi in Anambra State.
The source added that fielding Obaze as the candidate of PDP will not speak well of the party, as a case of perjury which is a criminal charge, could be made by anybody against him even if he emerges victorious in the governorship election should the party insist on submitting his name to Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The source said: “Mr. Obaze was not cleared as at the close of nomination. Mr. Obaze was granted ‘provisional clearance’ both by the screening committee and the appeal committee. This approval or provisional clearance is subject to the National Caretaker Committee recommendation of his waiver to NEC.
“Till date, no meeting of NWC or NEC was held where Mr. Obaze’s waiver application is reflected in the minutes. The implication of this scenario is that Mr. Obaze as at the date he filled and submitted his nomination forms was not qualified to contest the election.
“It does not matter if the caretaker committee or NEC grants him waiver today or even back date it to the day of screening as every material facts confirmed even by his own admission in various press releases did not have waiver as at when he filled and submitted his forms.
“By the way, the use of the word ‘provisional’ connotes not full, not permanent or obsolete but temporary subject to certain performance. What is this performance? When will the said performance be carried out? A cursory glance at the clearance certificate will reveal that it has only two provisions viz: Cleared/Not Cleared. Where did they manufacture Provisional Clearance?
“The danger of our party nominating a defective candidate is too grave for us to contemplate. A stich in time saves nine! Furthermore, if indeed Mr. Obaze at the time of filling his form knew that he did not have a waiver or that his waiver was still being processed, why did he indicate that he had a waiver in the form? A case of perjury which is a criminal offence could be made by anybody against him even if he emerges victorious in the governorship election should the party insist on submitting his name to INEC,” the source said.
Documents made available showed that the party national leaders had been petitioned by obe Obiagulu Chukwurah, over the provisional clearance granted to Obaze, with the allegation that the candidate has not attained the statutory two years’ membership period nor secure the required waiver to make him eligible and be cleared.
According to the documents, the screening committee, which had scrutinised them, recommended that “the provisional clearance granted the aspirant should be upheld and that the process of granting waiver be hasten by National Caretaker Committee to prevent any future legal problems.”
But, Chukwurah pointed out that granting Obaze waiver, which, has not be properly documented, would cause a chain of legal battles for the party on the long run, as the development is an abuse of the party’s constitution.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?