The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, South-South league, has dissociated former President Goodluck Jonathan from any intention to contest the 2019 presidential election.
The group made the assertion while reacting to claims that Jonathan wanted to hijack the party structure in Bayelsa state for his use ahead of the 2019 presidential ambition.
Chairman of the group, Barr. Ariolu Tebidapa (Delta State) and the Secretary, Akpan Ibibio (Akwa-Ibom state), in a statement signed on behalf of other members, claimed that those against the interest of the party were behind the allegation.
Recalling that the PDP had zoned its presidency to the North, the body warned against any attempt to ridicule the image of the immediate past president.
The statement reads, “It is obvious, that since after the supreme court judgement that laid to rest the leadership crisis that rocked the PDP, some persons within the party in the region, are still not settled due to the role they played, in spite of the fact that the party has granted amnesty to all those who worked against the interest of the party.
“These persons see the former President, Goodluck Jonathan as a threat, hence their reactions in trying to attack his personality.
“We have read in the dailies about some persons insinuating that the former President, intends hijacking the party structure in Bayelsa State, in order to actualize his presidential ambition.
“This however, sounds laughable; we see it as an attempt to ridicule the former President.
“His Excellency, former President Goodluck Jonathan is not contesting for the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, even though he is well qualified constitutionally and by pedigree, because he is still widely loved and accepted by Nigerians.
“However, the PDP has zoned it’s presidency to the Northern part of Nigeria. So, we wonder what these fifth columnists really want to achieve by selling falsehood.
“It is also not true that the former President is attempting to hijack the party structure in Bayelsa State. We consider this story as an imagination from those who are being chased by their shadow. As the leader of the party, how can he (Jonathan) be interested in only one state, when the party is preparing for elective congresses and National convention?
“If at all former President Goodluck Jonathan is interested in anything, it should rather be who leads the party at the National level to push forward his vision for Nigeria.
“Consequently, we consider all these as attempts to distract the attention of the former President, at a time when he is busy working with other party leaders and focusing his attention on how to reposition our great party and Nigeria for the challenges ahead.
“Former President Goodluck Jonathan has made the South-South region proud during his service as President, with his achievements of international reckoning and sacrifice to keep Nigeria United. We think he deserves every respect and regard.
“There is no amount of blackmail or insult by these detractors, no matter how hard they try, that can erase the achievements of former President Goodluck Jonathan.”
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash