The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, South-South league, has dissociated former President Goodluck Jonathan from any intention to contest the 2019 presidential election.
The group made the assertion while reacting to claims that Jonathan wanted to hijack the party structure in Bayelsa state for his use ahead of the 2019 presidential ambition.
Chairman of the group, Barr. Ariolu Tebidapa (Delta State) and the Secretary, Akpan Ibibio (Akwa-Ibom state), in a statement signed on behalf of other members, claimed that those against the interest of the party were behind the allegation.
Recalling that the PDP had zoned its presidency to the North, the body warned against any attempt to ridicule the image of the immediate past president.
The statement reads, “It is obvious, that since after the supreme court judgement that laid to rest the leadership crisis that rocked the PDP, some persons within the party in the region, are still not settled due to the role they played, in spite of the fact that the party has granted amnesty to all those who worked against the interest of the party.
“These persons see the former President, Goodluck Jonathan as a threat, hence their reactions in trying to attack his personality.
“We have read in the dailies about some persons insinuating that the former President, intends hijacking the party structure in Bayelsa State, in order to actualize his presidential ambition.
“This however, sounds laughable; we see it as an attempt to ridicule the former President.
“His Excellency, former President Goodluck Jonathan is not contesting for the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, even though he is well qualified constitutionally and by pedigree, because he is still widely loved and accepted by Nigerians.
“However, the PDP has zoned it’s presidency to the Northern part of Nigeria. So, we wonder what these fifth columnists really want to achieve by selling falsehood.
“It is also not true that the former President is attempting to hijack the party structure in Bayelsa State. We consider this story as an imagination from those who are being chased by their shadow. As the leader of the party, how can he (Jonathan) be interested in only one state, when the party is preparing for elective congresses and National convention?
“If at all former President Goodluck Jonathan is interested in anything, it should rather be who leads the party at the National level to push forward his vision for Nigeria.
“Consequently, we consider all these as attempts to distract the attention of the former President, at a time when he is busy working with other party leaders and focusing his attention on how to reposition our great party and Nigeria for the challenges ahead.
“Former President Goodluck Jonathan has made the South-South region proud during his service as President, with his achievements of international reckoning and sacrifice to keep Nigeria United. We think he deserves every respect and regard.
“There is no amount of blackmail or insult by these detractors, no matter how hard they try, that can erase the achievements of former President Goodluck Jonathan.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?