A coalition of Ijaw Youths from the Niger Delta region, yesterday condemned the attack on the home of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu in Umuahia, Abia State.
The group said the deployment of the military troops to the Niger Delta and South East regions under the security operation known as Crocodile Smile or Python Dance will not solve the rising agitations.
The IYC, in the Statement issued yesterday via email and signed by the President, Barr Eric Omare, stated that “It is condemnable the attack on the home of the leader of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu in Umuohia, Abia State by suspected military officers which led to the loss of lives and many injured in the last hours of Sunday, September 10, 2017.
“The picture of those killed and injured tells a very sad story about the engagement of the military with IPOB members. It amounts to gross violation of human rights for Nigerians to be indiscriminately shot and killed because of legitimate agitation for justice.
“The deployment troops whether as operation crocodile smile or python dance is not the solution to the Niger Delta and Igbo agitations. The agitations are about quest for equity and fairness in the affairs of Nigerian and cannot be silence through the barrel of gun. In the first place, it was totally unnecessary and insensitive for the military to launch operation python dance in the south east considering the prevailing atmosphere in the region.”
“ The activities of the members of IPOB have been civil and orderly hence can be controlled by the regular mobile police rather than the military. The IYC is not surprised with the turn of events in the south east because from our experience in the Niger Delta, the deployment of the military always carries tales of sorry and pains as experienced in Igbo nation now”.
“We call on President Buhari to bring to justice the perpetrators of the killings in the south east, withdraw the military officers and bring to a halt the operation python dance in the south east. The IPOB demand for self-determination, just like that of the Niger Delta and other parts of the country cannot be stopped with the dance of a python but only through justice and equity through a restructured Nigeria that guarantees the different parts of the country the right to develop at their pace. Therefore neither the dance of a python nor the smile of a crocodile would quell the agitations”.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?