The Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, thrown more light into the Federal Government’s approval of a rail line crossing Daura, the hometown of President Muhammadu Buhari in Katsina State, from Kano, saying it is to connect the country with her landlocked neighbours.
He intimated that the government realized Nigeria’s landlocked neighbours like Niger, import through Ghana, Togo and even Benin Republic because of absence of rail line connecting their areas.
Speaking with journalists after the monthly project steering committee meeting on the $1.5bn Lagos-Ibadan rail project, he said the project would address the competition.
The Minister complained about the misgivings generated by the approval of the rail line to Daura, saying the line would not stop at Daura.
His words: “We realised that we had competitors from our land-locked neighbours, competitors like Ghana, Togo and even Benin Republic. These landlocked neighbours are importing through these countries because we don’t have rail lines that go to them. So to address this situation, Mr President approved a rail line that will go to Maragi in Niger. But that rail line which will come from Kano to Maragi in Niger must pass through some cities. So the rail line passes through Kazuare and then Daura before proceeding to Jibya and then Maragi. Is it that when the rail line gets to Kazuare, it jumps into the air over Daura? No, it has to pass through Daura to get to Jibiya and Maragi. It’s quite unfortunate that people read meanings to a rail line going to Daura. This rail line addresses the competition we have with Ghana and Togo for our landlocked neighbours. So we can now tell our landlocked neighbours that we can take their goods and services from our ports in Lagos to their country.
He also disclosed that the President has approved the procurement of 17 locomotives for the Kaduna-Abuja rail line to accommodate the surging passengers.
“Mr President has approved that we buy more locomotives and coaches. We have placed order for 17 coaches. Two have already been retrieved. By December, ten more will be received, and they will all be deployed to Kaduna-Abuja rail services.”
Initial reports of a Rail line to Daura from Kano had generated furore across the country.
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident