Reports that a bomb blast occurred in Enugu at the shut New Artisans Market along Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway after the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) mega station has been described as false.
A minor explosion had occurred at a dump site of scrap metals beside the market at about 8pm on Monday,and passers-by allayed fears of a possible bomb explosion.
In a press statement issued by the Enugu State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, he admitted that an explosion occurred at the dump site, but declared that nobody was hurt.
He said that only a food retail shop was partly burnt in the incident.
Amaraizu said that while the cause of the explosion is yet to be ascertained, the police has advised the people, particularly residents of the axis to go about their lawful businesses as all hands are on deck by the Command in partnership with other sister security agencies to ensure safety of life and property.
He said that officials of the Explosive Ordinance Department of the Command has visited the scrap site and its environs to ensure that there are no dangerous equipment in the area.
Most of the artisans and petty traders in the market had resumed their daily routes.
Some of the traders said that they were not aware of the incident but noticed that the area was condoned off by law enforcement agents and the market Guides.
The market was closed down by the state government early this year following killing of a police officer who was investigating cases of prostitution and armed robbery in the area.
The petty traders, artisans and cattle dealers, mostly from the Northern part of the country, however, have continued their trade on both sides of the Enugu-Port Harcourt Road while the gates of the market remained locked by the state government.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash