Two Nigerian women working as carers in the U.K have pleaded guilty to charges of neglect for leaving a severely disabled woman Claire Mullen, locked in a hot car wearing a big coat while they went on a two and a half hour long shopping.
Claire Mullen, 58, suffers from autism, learning difficulties, cannot speak and requires a two-to-one care 24 hours a day and must be supervised at all times as she is prone to choking on food.
The temperatures outside reached 68F when she was found sweating profusely on a hot July afternoon.Concerned members of the public dialed 999 when they saw the vehicle rocking where it was parked in Chatham High Street. She had been in the car at least an hour and a half by the time the officers smashed a window to free her. She was immediately given water before being taken to the hospital.
Ezeorji of Porters Avenue Dagenham and Howe of Castle Road, Chatham returned to the vehicle around 4 PM, two hours after Claire had been abandoned. They were arrested on suspicion of neglect by Police who were still at the scene.
The pair who pleaded guilty at Medway Magistrate’s Court admitted their actions fell below what is required of them as carers but claimed they had gone back to check on her and left her again in the car after which they lost track of time.
They were told by the Magistrate court that their inexcusable behavior was “callous and selfish” and showed a ‘total disregard for a person’s life’
Due to the seriousness of the case, their sentencing has been transferred to the Crown Court in order for a longer jail sentence to be imposed.
No date has been fixed as of now for their sentencing.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?