Two Nigerian women working as carers in the U.K have pleaded guilty to charges of neglect for leaving a severely disabled woman Claire Mullen, locked in a hot car wearing a big coat while they went on a two and a half hour long shopping.
Claire Mullen, 58, suffers from autism, learning difficulties, cannot speak and requires a two-to-one care 24 hours a day and must be supervised at all times as she is prone to choking on food.
The temperatures outside reached 68F when she was found sweating profusely on a hot July afternoon.Concerned members of the public dialed 999 when they saw the vehicle rocking where it was parked in Chatham High Street. She had been in the car at least an hour and a half by the time the officers smashed a window to free her. She was immediately given water before being taken to the hospital.
Ezeorji of Porters Avenue Dagenham and Howe of Castle Road, Chatham returned to the vehicle around 4 PM, two hours after Claire had been abandoned. They were arrested on suspicion of neglect by Police who were still at the scene.
The pair who pleaded guilty at Medway Magistrate’s Court admitted their actions fell below what is required of them as carers but claimed they had gone back to check on her and left her again in the car after which they lost track of time.
They were told by the Magistrate court that their inexcusable behavior was “callous and selfish” and showed a ‘total disregard for a person’s life’
Due to the seriousness of the case, their sentencing has been transferred to the Crown Court in order for a longer jail sentence to be imposed.
No date has been fixed as of now for their sentencing.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash