Atlas Microfinance Bank Limited, through its agent De-Bongos International Ltd both operating in the Federal Capital Territory
(FCT), has threatened to sue the 2015 All Progressives Congress (APC)
gubernatorial candidate in Akwa Ibom State, Obong Umana Okon Umana, over alleged N14m debt.
The bank, through its agent, claimed that Obong Umana had secured the loans facility with a 20 percent monthly interest on it to finance his
governorship election campaigns.
In a demand/pre-action notice served to the former Secretary to the Akwa Ibom State Government and current Oil and Gas Free Zone
Authority, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Obong Umana, signed by Leo Ekpenyong, a Principal Solicitor with Leo Ekpenyong &Co,
law firm, De-Bongos International Ltd sought repayment within 14 days failure which it said it would resort to the court for justice.
“It is worthy of note that despite repeated entreaties to you to honour your agreement and defray your debt in full, you have defied
wise counsel. Without doubt, you have represented to our client, thereputation of “a treacherous and dishonourable man,’” the law firm said.
According to the law firm, Obong Umana had sought the soft loan facility through a guarantor, Mr Sam Frank, the current Commissioner
representing Akwa Ibom State in the board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NNDC).
The firm said it had through demand/ pre-action notices pleaded with Obong Umana, through his guarantor Mr Frank, to defray the debt but
regretted that rather than paying the full amount due the bank, Oblong Umana had opted to pay only N50m.
Te bank said following repeated failed entreaties, it may have to seek redress in a court of law in order to recover the loans, it said was
drawn from deposits from the poor masses.
However, in a swift reaction, Obong Umana’s guarantor, Sam Frank, admitted to the deal, but insisted that the former Governorship
candidate does not owe the bank a dime.
“It is true that we sought loan facility worth N14 and I signed for Obong Umana. However, Leo Ekpenyong, who represented De-Bongos
International Ltd, took N7m at point of delivery or from source on the grounds that he wanted to buy a Hilux bus to support the election
campaign. I did not collect a dime.
“We think it is only fair for him to pay half of the loan since he collected N7m at the point of delivery. You can’t eat your cake and
yet have it.
“On his part, Obong Umana, who cherishes his integrity and is a man of repute, has paid N50m. Besides, he (Ekpenyong) should pay the
remaining interest,” he said noting that it is an attempt to dent the good name of Obong Umana.
“What he is doing is not strange. He has already taken the matter to social media,” Frank said noting that he was aware that the firm had
approached Obong Umana’s lawyers who had responded accordingly.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?