Atlas Microfinance Bank Limited, through its agent De-Bongos International Ltd both operating in the Federal Capital Territory
(FCT), has threatened to sue the 2015 All Progressives Congress (APC)
gubernatorial candidate in Akwa Ibom State, Obong Umana Okon Umana, over alleged N14m debt.
The bank, through its agent, claimed that Obong Umana had secured the loans facility with a 20 percent monthly interest on it to finance his
governorship election campaigns.
In a demand/pre-action notice served to the former Secretary to the Akwa Ibom State Government and current Oil and Gas Free Zone
Authority, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Obong Umana, signed by Leo Ekpenyong, a Principal Solicitor with Leo Ekpenyong &Co,
law firm, De-Bongos International Ltd sought repayment within 14 days failure which it said it would resort to the court for justice.
“It is worthy of note that despite repeated entreaties to you to honour your agreement and defray your debt in full, you have defied
wise counsel. Without doubt, you have represented to our client, thereputation of “a treacherous and dishonourable man,’” the law firm said.
According to the law firm, Obong Umana had sought the soft loan facility through a guarantor, Mr Sam Frank, the current Commissioner
representing Akwa Ibom State in the board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NNDC).
The firm said it had through demand/ pre-action notices pleaded with Obong Umana, through his guarantor Mr Frank, to defray the debt but
regretted that rather than paying the full amount due the bank, Oblong Umana had opted to pay only N50m.
Te bank said following repeated failed entreaties, it may have to seek redress in a court of law in order to recover the loans, it said was
drawn from deposits from the poor masses.
However, in a swift reaction, Obong Umana’s guarantor, Sam Frank, admitted to the deal, but insisted that the former Governorship
candidate does not owe the bank a dime.
“It is true that we sought loan facility worth N14 and I signed for Obong Umana. However, Leo Ekpenyong, who represented De-Bongos
International Ltd, took N7m at point of delivery or from source on the grounds that he wanted to buy a Hilux bus to support the election
campaign. I did not collect a dime.
“We think it is only fair for him to pay half of the loan since he collected N7m at the point of delivery. You can’t eat your cake and
yet have it.
“On his part, Obong Umana, who cherishes his integrity and is a man of repute, has paid N50m. Besides, he (Ekpenyong) should pay the
remaining interest,” he said noting that it is an attempt to dent the good name of Obong Umana.
“What he is doing is not strange. He has already taken the matter to social media,” Frank said noting that he was aware that the firm had
approached Obong Umana’s lawyers who had responded accordingly.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash