AS cultists continue to terrorise communities in Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, two chairmanship aspirants under the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the forth coming council elections have accused each other of having a hand in the endless killing in the area.
Vanguard reports that Parts of the council have been under siege as the cult war rages, even as the Commissioner of Police, Mr Zubairu Muazu, has launched a Joint Task Force, JTF, to restore peace in the area. PDP chairmanship aspirant in the council election,
Deacon Unyime Ekanem, said: “For now, there is nothing going on in the affected communities. The villages are deserted. The Transition Committee chairman is never in the council, he is taking refuge in Uyo.” Ekanem said all the village heads, including theirs subjects, are still in hideouts despite the JTF recently formed by the state police boss. He accused the Transition Committee Chairman of the council, Mr Udene Eduo, of not doing enough to restore peace in the area. He said: “Mr Eduo is the problem. He is the Transition Committee Chairman but he runs the council from Uyo, the state capital. “The boys are political thugs. They are used to intimidating perceived political enemies. As the chief security officer of the council, he can bring the situation to normalcy especially if he is the true voice of the people.”
But Eduo denied the allegations that he had gone into hiding as a result of the cult war, adding that those spreading such rumour were mischief makers, who are out to tarnish his image.
According to him, “I have never at any point left my council for any reason. I lived in Uyo long before I became the transition committee chairman. As I talk to you, my mother and father were in Udianga Emem village. “Why didn’t they raise the alarm since? The cult battle started in 2015, but they kept quiet since, only to raise the matter now because they know that the election is at hand and I am contesting.”
He said the state Commissioner of Police, Governor Udom Emmanuel and himself are on top of the security situation in the council as far as the cult war was concerned. He traced the cult war in the council to a disagreement in the sharing of proceeds from Nigeria Gas Company, NGC, in 2014, which led to the death of a cultist.
Assuring that elections will hold in all the wards, he said: “I am going into the election, I have already obtained my nomination form and I am going to win. For your information, 45 elders and political leaders of Etim Ekpo have endorsed me. I don’t have any fear.” Vanguard gathered that communities in wards 8 and parts of ward 9 include Undiaga Emen and Abak Obong may not take part in forth coming council election in the state due to the cult war.
Vanguard’s source said, “The village heads and their subjects are taking refuge in neighbouring communities after armed youths invaded the communities killing people and looting their property. The cult war which has been on for months now has sacked many villagers. They may not return to their ancestral home soon for fear of being killed.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident