AS cultists continue to terrorise communities in Etim Ekpo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, two chairmanship aspirants under the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the forth coming council elections have accused each other of having a hand in the endless killing in the area.
Vanguard reports that Parts of the council have been under siege as the cult war rages, even as the Commissioner of Police, Mr Zubairu Muazu, has launched a Joint Task Force, JTF, to restore peace in the area. PDP chairmanship aspirant in the council election,
Deacon Unyime Ekanem, said: “For now, there is nothing going on in the affected communities. The villages are deserted. The Transition Committee chairman is never in the council, he is taking refuge in Uyo.” Ekanem said all the village heads, including theirs subjects, are still in hideouts despite the JTF recently formed by the state police boss. He accused the Transition Committee Chairman of the council, Mr Udene Eduo, of not doing enough to restore peace in the area. He said: “Mr Eduo is the problem. He is the Transition Committee Chairman but he runs the council from Uyo, the state capital. “The boys are political thugs. They are used to intimidating perceived political enemies. As the chief security officer of the council, he can bring the situation to normalcy especially if he is the true voice of the people.”
But Eduo denied the allegations that he had gone into hiding as a result of the cult war, adding that those spreading such rumour were mischief makers, who are out to tarnish his image.
According to him, “I have never at any point left my council for any reason. I lived in Uyo long before I became the transition committee chairman. As I talk to you, my mother and father were in Udianga Emem village. “Why didn’t they raise the alarm since? The cult battle started in 2015, but they kept quiet since, only to raise the matter now because they know that the election is at hand and I am contesting.”
He said the state Commissioner of Police, Governor Udom Emmanuel and himself are on top of the security situation in the council as far as the cult war was concerned. He traced the cult war in the council to a disagreement in the sharing of proceeds from Nigeria Gas Company, NGC, in 2014, which led to the death of a cultist.
Assuring that elections will hold in all the wards, he said: “I am going into the election, I have already obtained my nomination form and I am going to win. For your information, 45 elders and political leaders of Etim Ekpo have endorsed me. I don’t have any fear.” Vanguard gathered that communities in wards 8 and parts of ward 9 include Undiaga Emen and Abak Obong may not take part in forth coming council election in the state due to the cult war.
Vanguard’s source said, “The village heads and their subjects are taking refuge in neighbouring communities after armed youths invaded the communities killing people and looting their property. The cult war which has been on for months now has sacked many villagers. They may not return to their ancestral home soon for fear of being killed.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?