The Wife of the President, Aisha Buhari on Monday carpeted the health care delivery system in the country and reserved special criticism for the State House Clinic, which she said lacks basic equipment for medicare.
She called for a probe of the budget utilisation at the clinic.
She expressed the views at the stakeholders meeting on Reproductive, Maternal, New Born, Child, Adolescent Health and Nutrition (RMNCAH and N) in Abuja.
The event was also used to inaugurate the Governors Wives Advocacy Group (GWAG) on reproductive health in the country.
“I would like to be realistic to say a few words concerning health delivery system in Nigeria. It is very poor, sorry to say that.
“I am happy that the MD of Aso Clinic is here. Dr Manir, I am happy that you are here.
“As you are aware for the past six months Nigeria was not stable because of my husband’s ill health.
“We thank God that he has fully recovered now.
“If somebody like Mr President can spend several months outside Nigeria, you wonder what will happen to a common man on the street in Nigeria.
“Few weeks ago I was sick as well; they advised me to take a first flight to London; I refused to go.
“I said I must be treated in Nigeria because there is a budget for an assigned clinic to take care of us.
READ FLASH | Buhari fires Semenitari, Nominates Nsima Ekere & Ndoma-Egba as NDDC Chairman
“If the budget was N100 million, we need to know the way the budget is spent.
“And along the line I insisted; they called Aso clinic to find out if their X-ray machine was working, they said it was not working; they didn’t know that I was the person that was to be at that hospital at that very time.
“I had to go to a hospital that was established by foreigners in and out 100 per cent.
“What does that mean?’’
“I think it is high time for us to do the right thing.’’
The Wife of the President noted that if something like that happened to her, there was no need to ask the governors wives what the situation was in their states.
She said Abuja was the highest seat of government and the incident was about the Presidential Villa.,,
Mrs Buhari acknowledged that Nigeria had very good health policies, the best in Africa.
“Yes of course we have (policies) but implementation is always the problem.
“So we need to change our mindset and do the right thing.’’
She said that a lot of constructions were on-going at Aso Clinic when the hospital lacked basic medical equipment and tools.
“There are lots of constructions going on in that hospital but there is no single syringe there; what does that mean? Who will use the building?
READ Daily Sports Round Up: Nigeria Faces Tanzania in Under-20 World cup qualifier
“So we have to be good in reasoning; you are building and there is no equipment, no consumables in that hospital and the constructions are still going on.
She expressed that as a result of the president’s absence on medical vacation, “a 40-year-old man who is still living in his father’s house created a state out of a state and that is a major setback to the country.
“I hope that such a thing will not be repeated,’’ she stated.
Mrs Buhari appreciated the wives of the governors and other stakeholders for attending the event as an attestation of the importance they attached to the issue of maternal and child health.
She said it was sad to know that Nigeria was one of the countries with the worst health records for children and women in spite of the efforts of the past, adding that more needed to be done.
She explained that it informed her Future Assured Initiative two years ago to champion the well-being of women and children. She acknowledged the support of all stake holders for their continued support.
“We are here today to build our alliances that will help strengthen our advocacy for reproductive, maternal, new born, child, adolescent health and nutrition at the state level.
READ FLASH| NFF's Head of Protocol Shot Dead In Abuja
“By creating a strong coalition, we will increase awareness on the importance of improving RMNCAH and Nutrition, promote advocacy for better service delivery and increase the utilization of RMNCAH and Nutrition services,’’ she noted
She expressed optimism that the Governors Wives Coalition established at the event would provide a platform for them to lend a strong voice for improving the health status of women and children in the country.
Mrs Buhari urged the governors wives to champion the cause of advocacy to support the RMNCAH and N programmes in their various states.
She advised them to dedicate a section of the Governors’ wives forum meeting agenda to update themselves on the progress of the advocacy in their various states.
Accordingly, Mrs Buhari donated a floor of the three-floor building of the Future Assured Centre in Wuse Abuja to the Women for the purpose of the advocacy.
She called on development partners to support the coalition to achieve better health outcomes for Nigeria.
She pledged to commit all platforms available to her as wife of the President and as champion of RMNCHA and N to continue to provide maximum support to the importance cause and urged the governors’ wives to do same
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?