Governors of the South East and South South States have unanimously agreed to adopt a common position on the current political debate in the country. The forum resolved that they all will take a collective position that will be beneficial to the political future of the people of the region.
This is as it condemned the dearth of infrastructure and lack of federal presence in the region.
They made the claim in a communique issued after their meeting in Owerri, the Imo State capital on Sunday.
The communique was signed by Governor Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom state who doubles as the Chairman and eight other Governors.
The others are: Governors Rochas Okorocha of Imo State; Nyesom Wike of Rivers State; Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State; Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State; Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State; Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State; Ben Ayade of Cross River State; and the Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Dr Nkem Okeke who represented Governor Willy Obiano.
The South-East/South-South Governors Forum said it was worried by the dearth of infrastructure and what I described as “unjustified lack of significant federal presence” in the two regions.
The forum demanded more attention on the infrastructural and other needs of the region by the Federal Government.
The Governors expressed hopes that their efforts and that of other stakeholders to maintain peace and stability in the two regions, will translate to increased dividends through greater attention on the urgent infrastructural and other needs of their two regions.
The Governors who discussed extensively on the proposed amendment of the 1999 constitution, resolved to take a position that will be in the interest of the people of both South-East and South-South regions.
The forum commended the different roles played by some patriots in ensuring broad-based negotiations between the North and South East regions which led to the setting aside of the controversial “quit notice” issued by Arewa Youths to Igbo residents in the northern states.
Further, the forum expressed hopes that it will be the last time any person or group of persons will make any statement or take actions that suggests “that any part of the country is a no-go area to other Nigerians”.
The South-East/South-South Governors Forum commended the efforts of the security agencies which according to them, has contributed immensely to an increased and sustained oil production with the attendant benefits to Nigeria; just as they commended the efforts of all stakeholders who have contributed to ensure the regions remain calm and safe.
The forum commended the Inspector General of Police (IGP) for organizing security summits in the different geo-political zones of the country and expressed hopes that the outcome of the summits will lead to better policing of the country, in the interest of the citizenry.
They re-echoed their faith in one indivisible and indissoluble Nigeria and adjourned the forum meeting to Sunday, November 26th, 2017 in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom state capital.
READ January 2016 Transfer Window Statistics
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?