Justice John Tsoho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday ordered banks to unfreeze the 24 accounts of the Peace Corps of Nigeria.
The accounts were frozen at the instance of the Police though an ex-parte order it secured on June 23.
John Ojogu, on behalf of Peace Corps, filed a motion on notice, dated July 5, praying the court to vacate its post-no-debit order freezing its accounts.
Also, Peace Corps prayed for an order directing Diamond Bank, and Stanbic IBTC to unfreeze its accounts.
Delivering ruling on the applicant’s motion on notice, the court relied on the sole issue formulated by James Idachaba, counsel to the Police.
READ Police parades Commandant of Peace Corps, 49 Others
The issue was: “Whether the ex-parte order made by the court on June 23, 2017 is not liable to be discharged or vacated by the court.’’
Justice Tsoho described the arguments of Mr. Idachaba, counsel to Police, in urging the court to dismiss the application of Peace Corps as “great effort without effect.”
The court held that the motion ex-parte dated June 13, was filed in bad fate and amounted to gross abuse of court process.
The judge noted that the police did not controvert the affidavit evidence of Peace Corps that facts were suppressed and issues misrepresented by the Police to obtain the ex-parte order.
READ Senate passes peace Corps Bill
The judge held that the police suppressed facts and misrepresented issues before securing the ex-parte order.
He said the police lawyer failed to show in his affidavit in support of the motion ex-parte how the Attorney-General of the Federation authorised him to act on his behalf.
“This inconsistent posturing of the Police adversely affected the validity of the ex- parte order granted by this court on June 23, 2017,” Mr. Tsoho said.
In addition, the court agreed with the submissions of counsel to Peace Corps that an “interim order” must be short.
“I therefore hold that if the Police desired anything more, it should not have come to this court by way of motion ex-parte, but through motion on notice, seeking an injunction,” Mr. Tsoho added.
READ Court adjourns Peace Corps suit against Police till May 31
In view of this, “the interim order made by this court on June 23, 2017 has been discharged; the order is set aside.’’(NAN)
Latest Nigeria News
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist
- Slide Safe: This Nigerian Startup Wants To Help Nigerians Have Safe Sex
- Don’t Joke About Grace Mugabe’s Underwear Or You May Face Jail Time