The Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, says no fewer than 184 persons died from an outbreak of cholera in eight states across the country this year.
Nanpring Williams, the Surveillance Focal Person of NCDC, said this at the Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Sector Meeting, organised by the Federal Ministry of Water Resources in Abuja on Tuesday
She said that the affected states were Zamfara, Kwara, Borno, Lagos, Oyo, Kebbi, Kaduna and Kano.
Ms. Williams said that the National Cholera Situation Report indicated that there were 8,241 suspected cases of the disease in parts of the country.
She said that the centre was executing the pilot phase of administering Oral Cholera Vaccine in Muna Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camp and the entire Mafa Local Government Area in Borno, reaching no fewer than 34,815 persons.
READ Speaker Dogara Embarks on 'Consolidation Agenda'
She said that the centre was also conducting active surveillance and laboratory diagnosis, effective coordination and case-by-case management of cholera.
Ms. Williams said there were cases of water contamination in Kebbi through open defecation, adding that deliberate efforts were needed from all stakeholders to promote access to water and sanitation.
She, however, bemoaned the lack of coordination between the state ministries of health and the rural water supply and sanitation agencies, saying that the deficiency had been a major challenge to efforts to strengthen WASH activities in the country.
Baba Galadima, Deputy Director, WASH Response and Collaboration with Federal Ministry of Water Resources, underscored the need for effective collaboration among all stakeholders in order to reduce cholera outbreaks in parts of the country.
READ We are on the Trail Of Tompolo - IGP Arase
He said that the emergency response, an offshoot of the 2014 floods, was involved in the provision of emergency responses to displaced persons.
He added that the Boko Haram insurgency also induced some humanitarian crises and the need to provide emergency aid to IDPs in the North East.
Mr. Galadima said that the ministry would sustain activities to promote hygiene practices, in collaboration with the state water supply agencies, by placing tangible emphasis on Community-Led Total Sanitation processes.
He said that promoting hygiene practices in the country required the collective efforts of all citizens, saying that the federal government and development partners could not handle it alone.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?