Nigerian author, Chimamanda Adichie has revealed what it was like discovering all about racism, blackness and political correctness in America for the first time.
In an interview with David Remnick of The New Yorker magazine, Adichie opened up on the strong criticisms she received from the LGBT community and other liberals when she said “transwomen are not women”.
Adichie told the interviewer, “You don’t put up with liberal can’t and jargon whether it’s on subjects of feminism of race at all, despite politics.
“I don’t. I almost think that the left is creating its own decline. I think the left doesn’t know how to be a tribe, in a way the right does. The left is cannibalistic, it eats its own. You know, this isn’t going to sound very kind.
“People on the left, so there’s something to be said of course for ideals and I believe very much in that, but I think when one speaks about politics, sometimes there can be a kind of an extremist idea of purity and it’s so easy to follow foul of the ridiculously high standards set there and there’s often also a kind of self-righteousness. I mean you follow the rules and if you don’t, you’re cut down very quickly.”
Adichie said she had been a victim of the antics of liberals in this regard when asked by the interviewer.
“I think it was my comments about transgender women. So I had done an interview in London and this woman had said to me, I don’t remember the question, but what I did say was that I think trans women are trans women and that I think there is a difference between trans women and women who are born female. And apparently in liberal orthodoxy, you’re not supposed to say that. Because in the quest for inclusiveness, the left is willing to discard a certain kind of complex truth. And I think there’s a quickness to assign ill intent.
READ MORE Mercy Aigbe steps out rocking a Gucci bag with matching outfit
Adichie spoke on her experiences with racism, which she said American society is “steeped in”.
“Racism I found funny, absurd, infuriating. The first time I wrote an essay in a class,
my very first essay, and we, and at the time I used my initial and my last name and my last name I think could be anything.
People sometimes tell me it could be Italian. So the professor came into the class and said who wrote this essay?
“All right and he called my name and I raised my hand and he looked surprised.
And even though it was a very small moment, that’s when I knew what being black meant.
It meant that you’re not supposed to write the best essay in class if you’re black.
“It meant that black achievement is considered so rare, so, you know. And I was irritated by that,because for me growing up in Nigeria, you know, black achievement is ordinary
and there’s a part of me that wanted to say this man, really I was saying it in my head,
you’re stupid. But then it became other things.
“It became, I remember once a black guy referred to me as sister. And my first reaction was no, no, no, I’m not your sister.”
Watch this video on The Scene.
The post Chimamanda Adichie Talks About Dealing With Racism And Liberals In America appeared first on GL Trends.
Kaffy And Hubby, Papi J Ameh Celebrate Wedding Anniversary With Sweet Words
Potential America First Lady, Melania Trump Nüde Pictures Leaked By NY Post
WAP TV Presenter Slams Nigerian Girls Who Put Up Boyfriend’s Photos On Social Media
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?