The Benue State Government is to build six pivot ranches to facilitate the effective implementation of the anti-open grazing law.
Gov. Samuel Ortom signed the law, which he said would check incessant clashes between farmers and herders, on May 2, 2017.
The law is expected to take effect on Nov. 1, 2017.
Col. Edwin Jando (retired), Special Adviser to Ortom on security, disclosed the plan to build the ranches to newsmen on Tuesday in Makurdi, at the end of a critical stakeholders meeting for the implementation of the law.
He said that the meeting was aimed at sensitising stakeholders, particularly the herdsmen, on the law.
READ PDP Congratulates Jonathan On Appeal Court Victory
Jando explained that the pivot ranches would be used as a confine for impounded cattle, explaining that they would be kept in the confinement for seven days before being auctioned or the owner fined.
He said that the ranches would be situated at strategic locations, preferably at boundary points.
According to him, the ranches will be located in Kwande, Katsina-Ala, Ukum, Guma and Makurdi, while another one will be located between Gwer West and Agatu.
He said that government would not build ranches for herdsmen, and advised interested herdsmen to acquire land through the due processes and build their ranches.
The Commissioner of Police in Benue, Mr Bashir Makama, in a remark, urged stakeholders to abide by the guidelines for the implementation of the law in the interest of the cattle owners and farmers.
READ FLASH| Saraki Disappointed With Supreme Court Ruling
Makama also advised those planning to establish ranches to follow due process in the acquisition of land to avoid violent disagreements.
He urged those affected by the law to strive to be conversant with it before the Nov. 1 deadline.
“The meeting considered a lot of things, but the major concern was the need for peace in Benue.
“We also assessed the security situation and relaunched the “bail is free” campaign. Henceforth, anybody caught giving money for bail will be arrested and prosecuted,” he said.
In his speech, Prof. Daniel Uza, Guest Speaker at the meeting, said that the cattle value chain had become a major security challenge in the state.
READ Cosmetic or Genuine Peace Under Governor Lalong?
Uza, a former Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, opined that the country needed to adopt ranching for the effective protection of herders and land owners.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?