Their cases are being handled by four dedicated courts put in place by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) in conjunction with the Acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Abdu Kafarati.
The suspects’ trial is in line with Malami’s concerted efforts to ensure expeditious disposition of the cases and the decongestion of prisons in the country.
Meanwhile, the leader of trial judges, Justice Binta Nyako, has led her team and prosecutors from the Federal Ministry of Justice as well as the defence team from the Legal Aid Council on an inspection tour of the facility.
The tour took place at 12.30pm on Tuesday after which the judges proceeded to their various chambers to begin the process of sitting in their respective courts.
In a press statement issued by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Minister of Justice Comrade Salihu Othman Isah, he said the suspects were arraigned in connection with various attacks in different locations in the country.
READ 'Fabregas' Commits Suicide inside Church
Isah who attended the trial at the Wawa Cantonment Prison facility in Kainji, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, said that most of the cases heard on the opening day were ex-parte motions in the four special dedicated courts located within the premises of the military facility.
Justice Nyako, the trial judge of Court 1 opened the process by hearing the first case of an ex-parte motion involving the Federal Republic of Nigeria versus Emmanuel Yakubu, Kamslim Abdullahi, Kefas Yusuf, Mohammed Garba and Ham Jangal and 95 others. The trial opened at 1.35pm.
Lead prosecuting counsel in the case, Mrs. Nkiruka Jones Nebo, an Assistant Director in the Department of Public Prosecution of the Federal Ministry of Justice, applied for the amendment of the title of the court to read holden at the Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State.
Nebo who led Mr. Y.A. Cole, a senior state counsel in the Federal Ministry of Justice said, “the motion ex-parte was brought pursuant to Section 35 (1) (c) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), Section 299 0f ACJA 2015, Section 27 of the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment Act) 2015 and under the inherent jurisdiction of this honourable court.”
READ Fulani Herdsmen invade Prison, Kills inmate
In Court 4 which began sitting at 13:38pm, Mr. Labaran Magaji, a principal state counsel in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution in the Federal Ministry of Justice, had his request granted in his application made on behalf of the AGF for the transfer of one Adamu Abbdullahi (aka Danjuma) from the Kainji facility to Bauchi Prison to continue his trial. While Labaran was assisted by C.S. Nnanna, B.A. Adekunle of the Legal Aid Council announced appearance as his defence counsel in the case.
Proceedings in Court 2 began with case file no: FHC/KAINJI/CR/2/2017 at 13:50pm with the trial judge presiding. The suspects are Yusuf Abdullahi, Sani Mohammed, Baba Ari, Isah Abdullahi, Mohammed Kumchi and 95 others.
READ STATEMENT BY DR DAKUKU ADOL PETERSIDE, GOVERNORSHIP CANDIDATE OF THE ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS (APC)
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs. G.N. Okafor sought an order of the court to remand the suspects in Kainji prison facility pending the conclusion of their investigation in the interest of justice.
The trial judge opened sitting in Court 3 at about 1:40pm with Kawulle Sani Abubakar and 99 others being arraigned. The federal prosecutor, Mrs. A. Adewnmi-Aluko led by O.J. Okpa and assisted by M.A. Abiodun prayed the court for time to conduct thorough investigation and sought that the suspects be remanded for 90 days.
The trial judge thus pronounced that the accused be remanded in prison custody to enable the prosecutors carry out thorough investigation and arraignment. The court rose by 2.15pm having adjourned till January 9th, 2018.
Latest Nigeria News
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist