Their cases are being handled by four dedicated courts put in place by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) in conjunction with the Acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Abdu Kafarati.
The suspects’ trial is in line with Malami’s concerted efforts to ensure expeditious disposition of the cases and the decongestion of prisons in the country.
Meanwhile, the leader of trial judges, Justice Binta Nyako, has led her team and prosecutors from the Federal Ministry of Justice as well as the defence team from the Legal Aid Council on an inspection tour of the facility.
The tour took place at 12.30pm on Tuesday after which the judges proceeded to their various chambers to begin the process of sitting in their respective courts.
In a press statement issued by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Minister of Justice Comrade Salihu Othman Isah, he said the suspects were arraigned in connection with various attacks in different locations in the country.
READ 'Fabregas' Commits Suicide inside Church
Isah who attended the trial at the Wawa Cantonment Prison facility in Kainji, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, said that most of the cases heard on the opening day were ex-parte motions in the four special dedicated courts located within the premises of the military facility.
Justice Nyako, the trial judge of Court 1 opened the process by hearing the first case of an ex-parte motion involving the Federal Republic of Nigeria versus Emmanuel Yakubu, Kamslim Abdullahi, Kefas Yusuf, Mohammed Garba and Ham Jangal and 95 others. The trial opened at 1.35pm.
Lead prosecuting counsel in the case, Mrs. Nkiruka Jones Nebo, an Assistant Director in the Department of Public Prosecution of the Federal Ministry of Justice, applied for the amendment of the title of the court to read holden at the Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State.
Nebo who led Mr. Y.A. Cole, a senior state counsel in the Federal Ministry of Justice said, “the motion ex-parte was brought pursuant to Section 35 (1) (c) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), Section 299 0f ACJA 2015, Section 27 of the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment Act) 2015 and under the inherent jurisdiction of this honourable court.”
READ Fulani Herdsmen invade Prison, Kills inmate
In Court 4 which began sitting at 13:38pm, Mr. Labaran Magaji, a principal state counsel in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution in the Federal Ministry of Justice, had his request granted in his application made on behalf of the AGF for the transfer of one Adamu Abbdullahi (aka Danjuma) from the Kainji facility to Bauchi Prison to continue his trial. While Labaran was assisted by C.S. Nnanna, B.A. Adekunle of the Legal Aid Council announced appearance as his defence counsel in the case.
Proceedings in Court 2 began with case file no: FHC/KAINJI/CR/2/2017 at 13:50pm with the trial judge presiding. The suspects are Yusuf Abdullahi, Sani Mohammed, Baba Ari, Isah Abdullahi, Mohammed Kumchi and 95 others.
READ STATEMENT BY DR DAKUKU ADOL PETERSIDE, GOVERNORSHIP CANDIDATE OF THE ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS (APC)
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs. G.N. Okafor sought an order of the court to remand the suspects in Kainji prison facility pending the conclusion of their investigation in the interest of justice.
The trial judge opened sitting in Court 3 at about 1:40pm with Kawulle Sani Abubakar and 99 others being arraigned. The federal prosecutor, Mrs. A. Adewnmi-Aluko led by O.J. Okpa and assisted by M.A. Abiodun prayed the court for time to conduct thorough investigation and sought that the suspects be remanded for 90 days.
The trial judge thus pronounced that the accused be remanded in prison custody to enable the prosecutors carry out thorough investigation and arraignment. The court rose by 2.15pm having adjourned till January 9th, 2018.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?