Leaders of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the North yesterday rose from a meeting in Abuja, insisting that the region must produce the party’s flag bearer for the 2019 general elections.
The politicians dismissed as immaterial the recent declaration by Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose for the nation’s number one seat at the upcoming polls.
Former Minister of Information, Professor Jerry Gana, who convened the meeting, asked the party to elect the best candidates in accordance with its zoning formula.
His words: “I want to appeal to you to give to the party the very best in the positions that have been zoned to us. Let us therefore give to the party, men and women of impeccable integrity.
READ Court strikes out suit challenging a Christian girl's conversion to Islam
“ Whatever the Fayoses of this world may be doing, the party has resolved that the presidential candidate will come from one of the three zones in the North.”
The party’s caretaker national chairman, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, lauded the delegates for the meeting, noting that their sacrifice was a pointer to their unflinching loyalty to the PDP project.
Makarfi reiterated the commitment of the party to honour its zoning agreement, stressing that those bent on indicating interest in elective positions should not be barred from doing so provided that the zoning formula was respected.
“The Port Harcourt convention remains valid and one of the decisions taken at that event was zoning. Micro-zoning does not have binding effect,” he stated.
READ PDP NATIONAL CONVENTION: The litmus test for its survival By @Paulutho
Chairman, Board of Trustees of the party, Senator Walid Jubrin, charged members on respect for zoning arrangements.Former Acting National Chairman, Dr. Bello Haliru, called for sanctions, noting that zoning and rotation of offices had always been given a pride of place in the affairs of the party.To former Senate President, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu, PDP must put an end to impunity and dictatorship as the party steps up preparations for the convention.
Present at the meeting were former governors, Ibrahim Idris, Idris Wada (Kogi), Ramalan Yero (Kaduna), Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Ibrahim Shekarau (Kano), Ibrahim Shema (Katsina) and erstwhile Ministers, Abba Moro (Internal Affairs), Adamu Maina Waziri (Police Affairs), Kabiru Turaki (Special Duties) and Zainab Maina (Women Affairs).
READ IDPs' Plight as Terrorists' Latest Weapon
Others were Deputy Senate President Ibrahim Mantu, former National Woman Leader, Ina Ciroma and ex- National Organising Secretary of the party, Professor Ahmed Rufai Alkali.
Latest Nigeria News
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist