Leaders of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the North yesterday rose from a meeting in Abuja, insisting that the region must produce the party’s flag bearer for the 2019 general elections.
The politicians dismissed as immaterial the recent declaration by Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose for the nation’s number one seat at the upcoming polls.
Former Minister of Information, Professor Jerry Gana, who convened the meeting, asked the party to elect the best candidates in accordance with its zoning formula.
His words: “I want to appeal to you to give to the party the very best in the positions that have been zoned to us. Let us therefore give to the party, men and women of impeccable integrity.
READ Court strikes out suit challenging a Christian girl's conversion to Islam
“ Whatever the Fayoses of this world may be doing, the party has resolved that the presidential candidate will come from one of the three zones in the North.”
The party’s caretaker national chairman, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, lauded the delegates for the meeting, noting that their sacrifice was a pointer to their unflinching loyalty to the PDP project.
Makarfi reiterated the commitment of the party to honour its zoning agreement, stressing that those bent on indicating interest in elective positions should not be barred from doing so provided that the zoning formula was respected.
“The Port Harcourt convention remains valid and one of the decisions taken at that event was zoning. Micro-zoning does not have binding effect,” he stated.
READ PDP NATIONAL CONVENTION: The litmus test for its survival By @Paulutho
Chairman, Board of Trustees of the party, Senator Walid Jubrin, charged members on respect for zoning arrangements.Former Acting National Chairman, Dr. Bello Haliru, called for sanctions, noting that zoning and rotation of offices had always been given a pride of place in the affairs of the party.To former Senate President, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu, PDP must put an end to impunity and dictatorship as the party steps up preparations for the convention.
Present at the meeting were former governors, Ibrahim Idris, Idris Wada (Kogi), Ramalan Yero (Kaduna), Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Ibrahim Shekarau (Kano), Ibrahim Shema (Katsina) and erstwhile Ministers, Abba Moro (Internal Affairs), Adamu Maina Waziri (Police Affairs), Kabiru Turaki (Special Duties) and Zainab Maina (Women Affairs).
READ IDPs' Plight as Terrorists' Latest Weapon
Others were Deputy Senate President Ibrahim Mantu, former National Woman Leader, Ina Ciroma and ex- National Organising Secretary of the party, Professor Ahmed Rufai Alkali.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?