Ahead of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Convention slated for December 9, the Chairman Emeritus of DAAR Communication, Chief Raymond Aleogho Dokpesi yesterday revealed a plot by some members of the party to use his link to All Peoples Democratic Alliance (APDA) to scuttle his chairmanship ambition.
Dokpesi, who spoke with newsmen in Abuja, also revealed how APDA was formed as an alternative platform to PDP at the heat of its internal crisis.
He said that the fear of losing at the Supreme Court made Ahmed Makarfi faction, which was being threatened by the Ali Modu Sheriff Camp, to go for an alternative platform.
Explaining his role in the formation of APDA, Dokpesi said, “I take full responsibility for the roles I played in the formation and funding of APDA. It was set up as a Plan B for the PDP at the peak of its internal crisis.”
READ Mikel to return to training after surgery
He further explained that 99 per cent of persons who formed APDA belonged to the then Makarfi faction of the PDP adding that all organs of the PDP including the Board of Trustees, Governors’ Forum, and National Assembly Caucus were very much involved in the formation of APGA.
He said: “We did not want to take chances. Our genuine members were being deprived opportunity to contest as Sheriff kept shutting the door against them. So there grew the urgent need for an alternative platform through which our ordinary members could run elections as councillors and local government chairmen. We cannot fold our arms and simply watch on.
“It was not done by me alone. All the organs of the party were part of the decision to form APDA. At a point, I wrote to all party governors to tell them that there is a need for members of the party to know.”
READ TI’s alleged Corruption in Defence Spending is a threat to global anti-corruption war – CESJET
Describing as shocking attempts by some senior PDP members to use his link to APDA to blackmail him, Dokpesi explained that his role in the formation and funding of APDA would not adversely affect his ambition, as a court ruling had already cleared him, even as he also pointed out that there was nothing on record to link him officially to APGA.
Dokpesi who said his ambition to be the national chairman of the PDP remained strong pointed out that his trial by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has no effect on his aspiration because he has not been convicted.
READ We want Referendum not war - IPOB
He dismissed as untrue, impression that the position of the national chairman of the PDP has been reserved for the South West Geo-Political zone.
Dokpesi said: “The National Convention zoned the position of the national chairman to the South and zoned the Presidency to the North. And there is no micro-zoning; the convention would have said it is zoning to the South West, but the convention in its wisdom did not do so.
Latest Nigeria News
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist
- Slide Safe: This Nigerian Startup Wants To Help Nigerians Have Safe Sex
- Don’t Joke About Grace Mugabe’s Underwear Or You May Face Jail Time