Ahead of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Convention slated for December 9, the Chairman Emeritus of DAAR Communication, Chief Raymond Aleogho Dokpesi yesterday revealed a plot by some members of the party to use his link to All Peoples Democratic Alliance (APDA) to scuttle his chairmanship ambition.
Dokpesi, who spoke with newsmen in Abuja, also revealed how APDA was formed as an alternative platform to PDP at the heat of its internal crisis.
He said that the fear of losing at the Supreme Court made Ahmed Makarfi faction, which was being threatened by the Ali Modu Sheriff Camp, to go for an alternative platform.
Explaining his role in the formation of APDA, Dokpesi said, “I take full responsibility for the roles I played in the formation and funding of APDA. It was set up as a Plan B for the PDP at the peak of its internal crisis.”
READ Mikel to return to training after surgery
He further explained that 99 per cent of persons who formed APDA belonged to the then Makarfi faction of the PDP adding that all organs of the PDP including the Board of Trustees, Governors’ Forum, and National Assembly Caucus were very much involved in the formation of APGA.
He said: “We did not want to take chances. Our genuine members were being deprived opportunity to contest as Sheriff kept shutting the door against them. So there grew the urgent need for an alternative platform through which our ordinary members could run elections as councillors and local government chairmen. We cannot fold our arms and simply watch on.
“It was not done by me alone. All the organs of the party were part of the decision to form APDA. At a point, I wrote to all party governors to tell them that there is a need for members of the party to know.”
READ TI’s alleged Corruption in Defence Spending is a threat to global anti-corruption war – CESJET
Describing as shocking attempts by some senior PDP members to use his link to APDA to blackmail him, Dokpesi explained that his role in the formation and funding of APDA would not adversely affect his ambition, as a court ruling had already cleared him, even as he also pointed out that there was nothing on record to link him officially to APGA.
Dokpesi who said his ambition to be the national chairman of the PDP remained strong pointed out that his trial by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has no effect on his aspiration because he has not been convicted.
READ We want Referendum not war - IPOB
He dismissed as untrue, impression that the position of the national chairman of the PDP has been reserved for the South West Geo-Political zone.
Dokpesi said: “The National Convention zoned the position of the national chairman to the South and zoned the Presidency to the North. And there is no micro-zoning; the convention would have said it is zoning to the South West, but the convention in its wisdom did not do so.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?