The Kaduna state governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has maintained his position on the agitation for restructuring, insisting that the North cannot be forced into restructuring as demanded by the Southern parts of the country. He also boasted that those with less numerical strength at the national assembly would continue to lose on issues that are not popular to those with higher numbers.
El-Rufai, who is chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Panel on True Federalism, was emphatic when he categorically stated that it is fundamentally wrong for geo-political zone with small population to agitate to be granted equal status with the zone with large population.
READ FLASH| Pascal Bafyau is Dead
The Kaduna state governor, who spoke at the poorly attended town hall meeting to engage Nigerian youths in Abuja on the controversy over the restructuring of the country, cautioned that the greatest injustice of restructuring would be trying to make “equal to become unequal and unequal to become equal”.
He boasted that restructuring will continue to die at the National Assembly with the position of the majority Northern parliamentarians at both the Senate and the House of Representatives, adding that with few representatives from the South, the majority will always carry their way.
He said, “You cannot abolish the Senate. For those agitating for restructuring, there is constitutional means of doing so. The National Assembly, including the Senate which cannot be abolished is the final hope, for that is where the vote lies.
READ Donald Trump: Why this 'Otondo' is Nigeria's Best man for US Presidency by Adewunmi Emoruwa
“We have a constitutional order, a due process. We are not over-slowing the document in starting afresh. The complaint that the cost of government is high and as such that we should do away with the Presidential system is not right. So, let us be pragmatic.
Latest Nigeria News
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist
- Slide Safe: This Nigerian Startup Wants To Help Nigerians Have Safe Sex
- Don’t Joke About Grace Mugabe’s Underwear Or You May Face Jail Time