The spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) and former Vice Chancellor, Ahmadu Bello University, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, has said that the North is ready to return to the pre-1914 era of Nigeria.
He said that the North and the South can go their separate ways, stressing that the North has made enough sacrifice for Nigeria’s existence.
According to him, “the North has always sacrificed for the unity of Nigeria. I was a student when we got independence and we saw that each time there was need to unite Nigeria, the North made the largest sacrifice.
“Now, we have 36 states from three regions which existed in 1960. No country has had constitutional conferences like Nigeria, yet it has not created a basis for a united country.
“If we want to restructure Nigeria, we have to start from the beginning, 1914; North and South, let’s go our separate ways”.
READ IGBO QUIT NOTICE | I can say whatever I like - Prof. Ango Abdullahi
He spoke on Wednesday at the opening ceremony of a two-day conference titled: “The North and the Future of the Nigerian Federation,” organised on by the Arewa Research and Development Project (ARDP) at Arewa House, Kaduna.
In an apparent reaction to the position of Southerners’ demand for restructuring, devolution and true federalism, Abdullahi, who does not see the secession threat as anything, declared that the “North is even prepared to go back to the pre-1914 arrangement”.
He said: “If we can’t go back to 1914, we should go back to 1960 regional governance. The North is not afraid of getting its North back just like those that want East and West back. I see this as a political manoeuvre and the North will not take it.”
He said that although restructuring means different things to different people, in his opinion, it would not make any difference because the problem is not really in the structure but the managers of the country.
READ Two Robbers Killed in Kogi (PICTURES)
Abdullahi recalled that when he was confronted on this issue by people from the South, “we sat with Prof. Ben Nwabueze and he said that Nigeria is unbalanced and that Lord Lugard made a mistake by the amalgamation. The North has always dominated and that is why they asked for the national conference in 2014.”
Abdullahi maintained that “such clamoring is not new. It has always been an antecedent of the South whenever a Northerner is in charge of leadership. Things that were happening since 1999 to 2006 were ‘tazarce’ (meaning continuity in Hausa language) and 2015 when a party agreed that the Presidency should rotate, and that was the beginning of what we saw.
READ Suicide Bombers storm Borno, over 15 Killed
“Since assumption of Northern leadership, we have witnessed demands like they always occur whenever a northerner takes over leadership”.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?