The Calabar Port Manager, Mrs Olufumilayo Olotu, has given an assurance that the much anticipated dredging of the Calabar Channel will begin in a few weeks.
Olotu gave the assurance on Wednesday in Calabar when she led the management team of Calabar Port on a courtesy visit to the Obong of Calabar, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu V.
“I am happy to announce to you that the advert for the dredging of Calabar Port will be out in the next three weeks.
“ It ia a real dredging not photo dredging. Very soon, we will have container vessels; Roro vessels and other bigger vessels coming to the Calabar Port.
READ PHOTOSTORY | Aftermath of Onitsha fire Incident at DMGS
“I pray that all of us will be alive to witness the return of full activities at the Calabar Port,” she said.
She, however, appealed to the traditional ruler to prevail on the state government to review its tax regime as it concerns the port to enable business thrive.
“I appeal that we should all partner together with both the Obong and the state government to make operations at the port easier for investors.
“Everything that is required to make the operations at the port smooth must be done.
“ Let taxes be moderate and affordable to allow our business partners to operate successfully,” she said.
READ Ondo PDP Suspends 22 members for Anti-Party Activities (DOCUMENTS)
The manager also told the monarch that a flat bottom vessel from Greece, “MV Desert Ranger, ’’ was already in the port awaiting to be unveiled.
Responding, the monarch described the visit as very exciting, especially as it brought the the news of the impending commencement of the dredging of the port.
He emphasised the importance of the port to the economy of Cross River and Nigeria at large.
“The Calabar Port was meant to serve Cross River; Southeastern Nigeria and the North East.
“So all we have to do is to continually pray that the dredging will come to pass.”
READ PDP Governors Will Support Party to regain Power - Ayodele Fayose
“With the functionality of the port, we know that economic activities in Calabar and the neighbouring states will come alive again,” he said. (NAN)
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?