The Supreme Court on Monday adjourned until April 28 to hear an appeal filed against the reinstatement of Mustapha Jokolo as Emir of Gwandu.
Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, leading a five-member panel of justices held that two motions listed for hearing were not yet before the court.
“In the light of this, the appeal would not be heard today. It is hereby adjourned until April 28.
“Parties are therefore, required to ensure that all motions are properly filed and placed before the court before the next adjourned date,” he said.
The Court of Appeal, in Sokoto, on April 14, 2016 reaffirmed the decision of the Kebbi State High Court, which reinstated the deposed Mr. Jokolo as Emir of Gwandu.
The appellate court also ordered that all his salaries and entitlements for the 10 years he was out of office be paid to him as ordered by the high court.
The present Emir of Gwandu, Muhammad Bashar, however, approached the apex court challenging the judgment of both courts.
He had urged the apex court to set aside the decision of the lower court, adding that he (Bashar) was legitimately appointed as Emir of Gwandu, after Mr. Jokolo was deposed by the state government.
Mr. Bashar had averred that the process of deposing an emir was enshrined in the state’s legal framework, adding that Mr. Jokolo’s deposition followed due process.
He had listed the former emir, the state government and 12 others as respondents.
The judges of the Court of Appeal, led by Justice Tunde Awotoye, held that Jokolo’s deposition by former Governor Adamu Aliero of Kebbi, contravened the provisions of the law.
The panel held that the action specifically ran against Sections 6 and 7 of the Chief Appointment and Deposition Law of the state.
The court held that from evidence place before it, the state government neither made inquiry into the allegation against Mr. Jokolo, nor consulted the state Council of Chiefs before carrying out the decision.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade