For the average football fan, there is no middle ground; it is either heaven or hell.
Fans of the Super Eagles are reasonably pleased at the moment because the team coached by Gernot Rohr with four victories and two draws achieved qualification with relative ease for the 2018 World Cup.
They qualified ahead of three former African champions – Zambia, Cameroon, and Algeria. In the process they scored in every match – the 4-0 over Cameroon in September the pick of the victories.
Those performances got the team to Russia but they must improve to get beyond the round of 16, which has been the best the team has achieved in five appearances to continue to enjoy the backing of us fickle fans. There is nothing like continuous success to engender the best set of fans. So here are things we are expecting to see on Tuesday:
Solving the goalkeeping conundrum
Ikechukwu Ezenwa has been capable between the sticks for the Eagles in his last four matches since taking over from Daniel Akpeyi. In that time – over 360 minutes, the FC Ifeanyi Uba goalkeeper has conceded two goals – two penalties!
But still, Nigerians are not very confident he is the player to man the sticks in Russia so Rohr is looking for a goalkeeper. Truth be told, Ezenwa has inadequacies just like all the other goalkeepers in contention.
Currently, no player has made the position his own – this would be fought over in the next six months. But if the World Cup were to start tomorrow, Ezenwa would be in goal for the Eagles! If Rohr starts Ezenwa against Argentina, there is almost a 90% chance he will start in Russia next year, barring any drastic drop in form.
Show tactical intelligence against world-class players
The difference between the best and the average football teams is 40% the quality of players, 20% athletic ability, and 40% tactical preparation. Whilst the Eagles today cannot boast of many world-class talents in their midst, they have the strength and athleticism common to West African players but they will compete favourably against players from countries like Argentina with excellent tactical preparation. Argentina will likely have the lion share of possession on Tuesday but we will be watching the shape of the Eagles, especially out of possession – that would indeed show Rohr’s tactical preparation of his players.
Moves in the last third
Watching the Cote d’Ivoire team in their 2-0 loss to Morocco in Abidjan on Saturday showed a team bereft of quality coaching. There was no plan on how to break down the Moroccan defense even though the coach, Marc Wilmots, had over a month to prepare for the match.
Yes, football is played with instinct but the more successful teams are the ones that have received the correct communication on their opponents and ways to beat it. Team sport is more of choreography – what is practiced is put in play on match days. The better informed the Eagles’ players are, the better will be their offensive performance against Argentina on Tuesday.
The World Cup kicks off on June 13, 2018, so starting with the friendly match against Argentina on November 14 in Krasnodar gives the Eagles exactly seven months to correct the defects that manifested during the qualifiers and the ones that would show forth in their friendly matches.
While many fans would love to see a win against Argentina on Tuesday, most will be pleased if they see a definite template of how capable the Eagles will be at challenging the best in Russia next year.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade