A civil society organisation, Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR), has accused the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, of abusing powers bestowed on his office in handling of the case between the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, and Senator Isa Misau.
The group questioned why the AGF took up a case between two citizens “an apparent favour” of one.
The case between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Senator Misau is currently being heard by the Federal High Court, Abuja.
Mr. Misau alleged that Mr. Idris stole about N10 billion monthly as internally generated revenue from policemen attached to private citizens and oil companies, engaged in romantic affairs with policewomen, and practiced favouritism in the promotion and appointment of Commissioners of Police.
The Senate set up a committee to probe the allegations, but the IGP while appearing before the panel declined to answer questions saying it would amount to subjudice since the matter was in court.
In an open letter on Monday, the CDHR described the decision of AGF to file criminal charges against Mr. Misau as an abuse of power.
“It is utterly worrisome that although the allegations by Senator Misau, being investigated by the Senate, are specifically directed at or against the person of Mr. Ibrahim Idris and not against the Federal Government or the Nigerian Police Force, but the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation, exploiting your office and acting on behalf of the Federal Government, filed two separate charges in different courts against Senator Misau for allegedly making injurious statements against Mr. Ibrahim Idris, the IGP,” the letter reads.
“Both cases are pending in Abuja before the Federal High Court and the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, respectively. This decision to file two criminal charges against Senator Misau, apparently in favour of Mr. Ibrahim Idris, the IGP, in the circumstance, comes across as an abuse of your office as the Attorney-General of the Federation. By instituting those criminal charges against Senator Misau you have given the very dangerous impression that the Buhari Administration is determined to cover up allegations of corruption made against any public officer.”
While calling on the AGF to withdraw the cases, the group challenged Mr. Malami to allow the IGP to defend himself.
“Mr. Ibrahim Idris, the IGP, has filed a libel suit against Senator Isah Misau. Since Mr. Idris has rightly decided to defend his own reputation by suing for libel, the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) is compelled to request that you immediately discontinue the embarrassing criminal charges against Senator Misau without any delay. We are convinced that the libel suit filed by Mr. Idris will restore his reputation if Senator Isah Misau fails to substantiate his allegations at the trial of the libel suit. The office of the Attorney General of the Federation is not to engage in taking up causes against citizens in apparent favour of certain individuals because they hold public offices.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?