President Muhammadu Buhari has approved 2, 250 job slots for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The agency is expected to recruit 750 new employees per annum over three years.
The anti-graft agency in collaboration with the Federal Character Commission (FCC) has started the recruitment test nationwide based on the zonal offices of the EFCC in order to create a level-playing ground for candidates.
The commission was also said to have resorted to zonal basis in order to avoid a repeat of the stampede which affected a similar exercise in the Nigerian Immigration Service.
The President approved the slots to increase the commission’s number of core and support staff since the anti-graft war is moving to the next stage.
It was however learnt that some highly-placed Nigerians want the recruitment to hold in Abuja so as to be able to wield influence.
A document obtained by our correspondent indicated that the EFCC has written to the Federal Character Commission (FCC) and obtained approval to go ahead with the recruitment.
The document showed that each zonal recruitment test is being coordinated by a Director of EFCC, two commissioners from the EFCC and other top staff of the anti-graft agency.
A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The approval letter was specific that we should employ at least 750 workers per year for the next three years. We have brought this approval to the notice of the relevant committees in the National Assembly. There is no question of secret or under-the-table recruitment.
“We decided to take the recruitment process to the zonal offices to create a level-playing ground for all. And given the high number of applicants, we chose zonal procedure to avoid recruitment stampede.
“But we are not waiving our recruitment procedures under any guise for the new hands. Apart from screening their certificates, we subject them to covert investigation and ask them to write tests.
“In order to be fair to all candidates, we are conducting the recruitment process at our zonal offices and after selecting the best, the relevant desks at the headquarters will further evaluate their performance based on our tight regulations.
“At the end of the day, the best candidates will proceed to the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna for training.
It was also learnt that Magu has drawn only 37 per cent of the N150million security votes appropriated for the EFCC chairman in 2017.
This is contrary to insinuations that the Acting EFCC chairman had been getting N15million monthly as security votes.
Another official said: “The records are clear. With a month left to the end of the year, Magu has only collected 37 per cent of the statutory N150million security votes (per year) for the office of the EFCC chairman. This is the least the commission has ever recorded.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?