Several police officers and students were on Monday injured as the police sought to forcefully disperse a protest by the students.
The students who were of the Federal College of Agriculture, Moore Plantation, Ibadan, were said to be protesting against the management of the institution. In the early hours of the day, they marched to the Ibadan – Abeokuta expressway, thereby inhibiting the flow of traffic.
PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the provost of the college, Babajide Adenikan, called in the police when the protests went out of control and headed away from the campus towards the town.
Footage on twitter apparently captured by one of the students showed police officers chasing the students back into the school premises using teargas and stones. The students were also seen hauling stones and other projectiles at the police officers.
Sporadic gunshots were also heard and two female students were seen being taken away to a hospital after they were supposedly injured by the attacking police officers.
In his reaction, the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Odude, said four police officers were injured in the mayhem and had been hospitalised.
He said that eight police vans were also damaged by the students during the clash. He confirmed that five students had been arrested in connection with the attacks.
The police commissioner said the crisis which erupted on Monday had been brewing for a long time and the police had made efforts to use dialogue to resolve it.
“It has been an off and on situation,” said Mr. Odude. “We have been on this for the past six months, meeting them and trying to resolve the issue. We have met the students’ union leaders and the school authority.”
According to him, the students had been warned earlier to limit their union activities within the school campus, as interfering with other peoples rights to use public utilities was unlawful.
“Today they blocked the main road during protest and we sent policemen there, but they became violent and attacked the policemen,” he said.
“Four of them were injured and they are now in hospital. Eight police vans were also destroyed.
“We have to use force to push them back into the school. Being students does not confer the liberty to break laws.
“Those who were arrested will be charged to court after due investigation.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade