A member of the House of Representatives, identified as Istifanus Gyang, has said that killer Fulani herdsmen should be profiled and classified by the Federal Government as insurgents and be treated like the Boko Haram members.
Gyang, representing Barkin Ladi/Riyom Federal Constituency under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, stated this in an interview yesterday.
He was reacting to a statement by a socio-cultural organisation, the Plateau Patriotic Youth Movement, asking him to face his legislative business and desist from playing petty politics with the crisis in the state.
Gyang had moved a motion on the floor of the House condemning the fracas between soldiers attached to the Joint Military Task Force, codenamed Operation Safe Haven, and three residents of Sopp community in Riyom LGA on October 19, 2017, in which three youths were shot.
The legislator had accused the soldiers of “s*xual harassment and deliberate shooting.”
The PYYM had asked him to “deliver practical dividends of democracy rather than play politics.”
But Gyang said, “Anyone or persons saying that the attacks and killings in my constituency are a basis for partisanship and politicking must either be insane or is simply being insensitive to the bloodbath that has been witnessed all this while.
“I take exception to such unfortunate insinuations. We must not trivialise issues that have to do with the lives of a people that are being hunted and killed as men hunting wild game. It is indeed sad and very unfortunate.
“Today, one quarter of Barkin Ladi LG and one third of Riyom LG are under occupation by the very persons that were welcomed and accommodated by their Berom hosts. The narrative that the attacks are simply conflicts between farmers and herdsmen is no longer tenable.
“The truth is that there is a quest by the herdsmen to forcefully acquire land and territory for occupation. Under this unfortunate development, the Nigerian state and government, which have the constitutional responsibility of protecting citizens from aggression have left the victims at the mercy of the marauding herdsmen.
These attacks have to be profiled and classified as acts of insurgency and treated with the same response as Boko Haram has been handled.”
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade