Governor of Ebonyi State Dave Umahi, has barred party logos and symbols during the official visit of President Muhammadu Buhari, to the State beginning from Tuesday.
Speaking to journalists on the eve of the State Visit, Governor Umahi said the decision was to give respect to the president.
He said: “Nobody should come to the stadium with any party logo. We don’t want to embarrass the president. If we invite the president for a state visit and PDP rolls out their logo, it is an embarrassment to Mr President.
“It is a Presidential visit; no party is coming to the stadium with a logo or party slogan of anything. It is just a simple Presidential visit. If they don’t understand they should go and find out what a Presidential visit is and what it entails.”
Recall that the APC in the state had accused Umahi of trying to muzzle opposition and had issued a directive banning the display of all party logos and rallies.
In a full-page advert published in a national newspaper on Monday, November 13, Pastor Eze Nwachukwu Eze, the Acting Chairman, APC, Ebonyi, while welcoming the President wrote: “there is a directive that we should not carry our brooms or display our party symbol anywhere near you throughout the visit.”
Meanwhile, Gov. Umahi has declared that less than N2 billion was spent to execute the flyovers and road projects to be inaugurated by President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday in Abakiliki.
He said President Buhari will inaugurate two flyovers and the 14.5km Abakiliki-Afikpo federal road constructed by the Ebonyi State Government.
The flyovers to be inaugurated are the 700m length of the twin flyover over the Trans-Sahara route running from Enugu to Cameroon, and the Senator Offia Nwali flyover, all in the State capital.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the President will also unveil the statue of Sir Akanu Ibiam, a former governor of the old Eastern region.
On the significance of the visit, Umahi said the state owes the President and his cabinet a debt of gratitude for reviving agriculture in the country.
“Mr President has helped us so much in the area of agriculture and at every given opportunity; I have always commended the CBN Governor, the Minister of Agriculture, the Minister of Finance and the Minister of Solid Minerals.
“The Buhari-led administration has tremendously helped us to revamp the agriculture and solid minerals programmes in Ebonyi State.
“I believe that the President’s visit will afford him an opportunity to see what we have done with the assistance he extended to us in the agricultural and solid minerals sector,” he said.
Asked whether he had faced a backlash from his party, the PDP, after he openly “endorsed” President Buhari for a second term in an interview with journalists recently in Abuja, the governor replied: “no comment.”
NAN reports that in Ebonyi, President Buhari will also perform the foundation stone laying ceremonies for Ebonyi city mall and a flyover named after him.
He is scheduled to meet with stakeholders from Ebonyi and South East traditional rulers in separate meetings before a state reception at the Ebonyi township stadium.
According to Sen. Emmanuel Onwe, the Ebonyi State Commissioner for Information, the State Government has declared Tuesday, November 14, a work-free day to welcome Mr President.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade