The Senate on Tuesday began moves to locate federal health facilities in every part of Nigeria.
The chamber mandated its committees on Health, Primary Healthcare and Communicable Diseases to consider all requests for siting of federal health facilities, where they do not already exist, with the intent to correct imbalance in the distribution of the facilities in the country.
This decision followed a motion by Mathew Urhoghide, Edo-PDP.
Moving the motion, Mr. Urhoghide said: “The Senate notes that in recent times, there has been numerous requests from Nigerians, including legislators; stakeholders and the general public, for the establishment of federal health facilities in all six geo-political zones of the country to provide health care services amongst other things;
“The Senate notes further that some of these requests are currently being considered by this 8th Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in its set determination to ensure fairness at all times to all sectors and segments of the country;
“The Senate is aware that till date, no proper template or records exist anywhere in the country mirroring the locational distribution of federal health facilities across the length and breadth of the Nigerian geographical landscape.”
He said the absence of such a database or records has made the siting of federal health facilities skewed with some states or geo-political zones having more than others.
He added that such practice violates fairness and the federal character principle, as some sections or people may be disadvantaged as they have to travel far to other locations to access health care.
Adopting the motion, the Senate mandated its “Committees on Health (Secondary & Tertiary) and Primary Healthcare and Communicable Diseases to catalogue all existing health facilities reflecting their locations, size, nature of services rendered, years of construction, present condition and other challenges to form part of the Health Sector Information Bank to date.”
The Senate also referred “all requests or demands by legislators and other stakeholders for the siting of federal health facilities, where they do not already exist, to this joint committee with the intent and purposes of correcting the imbalance in the distribution of federal health facilities across local government areas, states and or geo-political zones.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?