No fewer than 191 people have lost their lives in 294 road crashes in parts of Kogi from January to October this year.
Suleiman Mohammed, Head of Operations of the Kogi State Sector Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), made the disclosure on Tuesday in Lokoja.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Okene-Lokoja-Abuja highway is listed among the accident-prone highways in Nigeria.
Mr. Mohammed was speaking on activities lined up to commemorate the 2017 African Road Safety Day and World Remembrance Week for Road Traffic Victims.
He said that 1,251 people sustained injuries in the road crashes while 1,569 were rescued unhurt by the FRSC in the accidents.
According to the official, over-loading, over-speeding, making calls while driving, drunk-driving and poor conditions of vehicles are the major causes of the accidents.
The FRSC chief said, however, that the number of deaths and injuries recorded this year was lower than what was recorded in previous years, calling on motorists to join hands with the FRSC to reduce the carnage on the roads.
On the problem of over-loading by motorists plying roads in the state, he said that the RFSC was working with relevant organisations to tackle the problem.
Mr. Mohammed said that the command had scaled up enforcement and public enlightenment activities to reduce the carnage on the roads.
He announced that the command would stage a mega- rally at the popular Ibro Park in Lokoja on Nov. 15 to sensitise the public on road crashes.
Mr. Mohammed said that top officials of the FRSC would visit victims of road accidents in various hospitals in Lokoja to sympathise with them.
He said that special prayers would be held for road users and victims of road crashes in mosques and churches on November 17 and 19.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?