The Senate on Tuesday approved the request of President Muhammadu Buhari to borrow 5.5 billion dollars foreign loan.
The loan is made up of 2.5 billion dollars to fund the 2017 Budget and three billion dollars to re-finance the country’s domestic debts.
The approval followed presentation of report by Sen. Shehu Sani, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debts.
Presenting the report, Sani said the Committee in its findings discovered that the terms and conditions of the loan were favourable and do not pose any compromise to the integrity, independence and interest of Nigeria and its citizens.
He said “the projects are essential for rapid economic and social development of Nigeria. And that the projects, when completed, will create jobs through a chain of economic activities.”
He added that the three billion dollars for refinancing the nation’s domestic debts would not lead to any increase in public debt portfolio, noting that it would however, reduce the cost of the debts.
Some of the lawmakers, however, expressed concern over the rising debt profile of the country.
They cautioned against frequent foreign loans, arguing that it could have adverse effects on the economy in the event of depreciation of the national currency.
Yusuf Yusuf (APC-Taraba) said there would be problem generating enough foreign exchange to pay the foreign debts in the event that the exchange rate got to N500 to a dollar.
In his remarks, the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, who presided over plenary, said “this Senate will continue to partner with Federal Government in matters that concern the ordinary people of Nigeria.
“The implementation of the 2017 budget is key because any appropriation act that is not implemented is worthless.
“So, whatever needs to be done to be ensure that the budget is implemented will always have the support of this Senate.
“Since this is tied to the implementation of the 2017 budget, I believe that informed the support that this request is now generating.
“We need to urge the Debt Management Office to ensure that our debt profile is monitored so that we will always ensure that it is within acceptable limit.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade