“We were tricked into prostitution instead of working in a restaurant as promised us by our mistress. We want to go back to our country because some of the men we sleep with misuse us and we have to endure because of the money…,” some girls, among 32 suspected prostitutes grabbed by the police at Abeka Lapaz and its environs in Accra bemoaned.
The suspected prostitutes, all Nigerians, were apprehended last Friday evening in a special operation organized by the Tesano Divisional Police Command.
The girls, between the ages of 16 and 32 years, said they were lured into the country by their leader identified only as Joy – also a Nigerian – to be given decent jobs but were forced into prostitution on arrival in Ghana.
“Our madam brought us into the country some months ago after promising us decent jobs but when we reached here, she went to rent a room at Kata International Hostel for us and has kept us as prostitutes,” they narrated.
They claimed that even though they lodged at the hostel, every evening, they were made to dress up and go looking for clients.
According to them, some of them have to walk along the streets for clients while others move to entertainment spots and guest houses in the area to hunt for clients.
“We really want to quit this job because some of our clients, especially the trotro drivers and their mates who patronize us, really over-use us,” said Chioma, one of the arrested girls.
“Some of them have smelly bodies but because we need money, we have to give in and sleep with them,” she posited.
She narrated that life as a prostitute has not been easy since some of their clients even refuse to pay for services provided, even though they have a fee they must pay to their madam.
Chioma said after paying for their hostel fees, their madam had tasked each girl to pay 400,000 Naira, (4,936.133 cedis) in order to get their freedom back.
“Every week too, she comes round to collect GH¢20 each from us. We cannot run away because, on arrival, madam shaved the hairs in our private parts and armpits and made us swear an oath,” she lamented.
“She claims that if we escape, she will use the hairs to either make us go mad or die,” Chioma added.
Another prostitute who gave her name as Blessing, said some of their clients even refuse to use condoms and since they are desperate for the money, they cannot deny them their desires and give in.
She said if they were given the chance, they would go back to their country.
The Tesano Divisional police commander, Chief Superintendent Oduro Anning, who led the operation, said the operation was part of efforts to rid the area of criminal activities.
He said the 32 suspected prostitutes were apprehended upon a tip off and would be sent to court for prosecution.
Chief Superintendent Amaning confirmed that police investigations had revealed that the suspects were recruited from Nigeria to Ghana to be used as prostitutes by a curtain lady.
“We have details of the said recruiter and are on the verge of apprehending her to assist us investigate the case,” he added.
Meanwhile, the suspected prostitutes have been granted police enquiry bail and are to report later at the station to assist in investigations.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?