There was unrest at Ogun Magistrate’s Court, sitting in the Owode Egba area of the state, when residents protested against the bail granted to kidnappers in the State.
The defendants – Habibat Oyesanya, 52; Olubunmi Tajudeen, 36 and 40-year-old Morenike Shittu – were granted bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties each in like sum by a presiding magistrate, Mrs. I.O. Abudu.
They had been arrested for allegedly abducting a four-year-old girl in Ibadan, Oyo State, and whisked her to Mosafote community, Ibafo, Ogun State.
Our correspondent had reported that Shittu was taking the girl from the community on October 15, 2017, when residents intercepted her and she was subsequently handed over to the police.
She led the police to apprehend Oyesanya and Tajudeen.
While being paraded at the Ogun State Police Command headquarters in Eleweran, Abeokuta, on October 24, Tajudeen had told journalists that she sold her three-year-old daughter to Oyesanya for N280,000 so she could offset a debt.
She also confessed to have abducted the four-year-old girl in Bodija, Ibadan, on the demand of Oyesanya.
On Monday, November 13, they were arraigned on three counts bordering on kidnapping. Their pleas were not taken.
The charges read in part, “That you, Habibat Oyesanya, Olubunmi Tajudeen, Morenike Shittu and others at large, on October 15, 2017 at about 12pm at Mosafote, Ibafo, in the Owode Egba Magisterial District, did conspire among yourselves and kidnapped a four-year-old girl, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 23 (1), Special Provision Laws of Ogun State, 2016.
“That you, Habibat Oyesanya and Morenike Shittu, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned magisterial district, did harbour the girl, knowing full well she was kidnapped by one Olubunmi Tajudeen, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 29, Special Provision Laws of Ogun State.”
Meanwhile, residents of Mosafote have questioned the decision of the court for releasing the suspects on bail.
The residents’ grievance was contained in a petition addressed by their lawyer to the Chief Judge, Ogun State High Court, the state Attorney-General, the Director of Public Prosecutions and the state Commissioner of Police.
In the petition, dated November 13, 2017 and acknowledged by the DPP, the lawyer, Folami Fashe of Folami Fashe & Co, requested that the bail be revoked.
It read in part, “The suspects’ arrest came about due to the vigilance of the community members who, upon suspicion that a kidnapped victim was kept in a house within the community, alerted the police. After investigation, the police charged the matter to court vide charge no MOO/368C/2017.
“The suspects were arraigned before Mrs. I.O. Abudu at the Owode-Egba Chief Magistrate’s Court. No plea was taken. That notwithstanding, the magistrate proceeded to grant them bail. We were reliably informed that the case file has been duplicated and sent to your (DPP’s) office for legal advice.
“While we appreciate the need for presumption of innocence of the suspects, we believe that the magistrate court acted in bad faith in releasing the suspects on bail. We, therefore, request your urgent action to ensure that the suspects are re-arrested and prosecuted.”
However, the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the police lacked the power to re-arrest the suspects for the same offence they had been arraigned.
He said, “I am not aware of the petition yet. The police have the power to arrest, investigate and charge a suspect to court, while the court has the discretion to grant or deny anybody bail. It is not a police matter.
“There is nothing we can do on a matter that is already in court unless after they have been granted bail, we find out through our investigation that there is another offence they can be arraigned for. But if it is the same offence they have been arraigned for, there is nothing we can do. We have to wait for the court to determine their case.”
Source : ( Punch Newspaper )
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade