There was unrest at Ogun Magistrate’s Court, sitting in the Owode Egba area of the state, when residents protested against the bail granted to kidnappers in the State.
The defendants – Habibat Oyesanya, 52; Olubunmi Tajudeen, 36 and 40-year-old Morenike Shittu – were granted bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties each in like sum by a presiding magistrate, Mrs. I.O. Abudu.
They had been arrested for allegedly abducting a four-year-old girl in Ibadan, Oyo State, and whisked her to Mosafote community, Ibafo, Ogun State.
Our correspondent had reported that Shittu was taking the girl from the community on October 15, 2017, when residents intercepted her and she was subsequently handed over to the police.
She led the police to apprehend Oyesanya and Tajudeen.
While being paraded at the Ogun State Police Command headquarters in Eleweran, Abeokuta, on October 24, Tajudeen had told journalists that she sold her three-year-old daughter to Oyesanya for N280,000 so she could offset a debt.
She also confessed to have abducted the four-year-old girl in Bodija, Ibadan, on the demand of Oyesanya.
On Monday, November 13, they were arraigned on three counts bordering on kidnapping. Their pleas were not taken.
The charges read in part, “That you, Habibat Oyesanya, Olubunmi Tajudeen, Morenike Shittu and others at large, on October 15, 2017 at about 12pm at Mosafote, Ibafo, in the Owode Egba Magisterial District, did conspire among yourselves and kidnapped a four-year-old girl, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 23 (1), Special Provision Laws of Ogun State, 2016.
“That you, Habibat Oyesanya and Morenike Shittu, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned magisterial district, did harbour the girl, knowing full well she was kidnapped by one Olubunmi Tajudeen, thereby committing an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 29, Special Provision Laws of Ogun State.”
Meanwhile, residents of Mosafote have questioned the decision of the court for releasing the suspects on bail.
The residents’ grievance was contained in a petition addressed by their lawyer to the Chief Judge, Ogun State High Court, the state Attorney-General, the Director of Public Prosecutions and the state Commissioner of Police.
In the petition, dated November 13, 2017 and acknowledged by the DPP, the lawyer, Folami Fashe of Folami Fashe & Co, requested that the bail be revoked.
It read in part, “The suspects’ arrest came about due to the vigilance of the community members who, upon suspicion that a kidnapped victim was kept in a house within the community, alerted the police. After investigation, the police charged the matter to court vide charge no MOO/368C/2017.
“The suspects were arraigned before Mrs. I.O. Abudu at the Owode-Egba Chief Magistrate’s Court. No plea was taken. That notwithstanding, the magistrate proceeded to grant them bail. We were reliably informed that the case file has been duplicated and sent to your (DPP’s) office for legal advice.
“While we appreciate the need for presumption of innocence of the suspects, we believe that the magistrate court acted in bad faith in releasing the suspects on bail. We, therefore, request your urgent action to ensure that the suspects are re-arrested and prosecuted.”
However, the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the police lacked the power to re-arrest the suspects for the same offence they had been arraigned.
He said, “I am not aware of the petition yet. The police have the power to arrest, investigate and charge a suspect to court, while the court has the discretion to grant or deny anybody bail. It is not a police matter.
“There is nothing we can do on a matter that is already in court unless after they have been granted bail, we find out through our investigation that there is another offence they can be arraigned for. But if it is the same offence they have been arraigned for, there is nothing we can do. We have to wait for the court to determine their case.”
Source : ( Punch Newspaper )
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?