The Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, has appointed 18 women in the state as his special assistants on gender matters.
Mr. Obaseki also appointed one woman, Efosa Uyigue, as a special adviser, also on gender matter.
The 19 women were sworn-in on Monday at the Government House, Benin City, making it the largest number of political appointments made in a single day by any governor in the state.
The special assistants are to report to the special adviser who in turn reports to Mr. Obaseki.
“I need 19 sets of eyes to help me see and identify what is happening with women across the state,” the governor said during the swearing-in.
“I want to know what is happening to our women in the market, hospitals, their children’s education and issues that relate to human trafficking in your local government areas,” he said.
The governor described women as “powerful economic units and social mobilisers who can change our society”.
“We should create the avenue to reach out to them, know what they are going through and not only to use them for political gains. We need to support them to do more for themselves,” he said.
Crusoe Osagie, the governor’s media aide, defended the appointment, saying that the numbers weren’t too much.
“Special assistant is the lowest in the ranking of political appointees,” Mr. Osagie told PREMIUM TIMES. “Their salary is around N80, 000 each and they are not entitled to official vehicles.
“They don’t work from the government house; they work from their different wards where they stay in touch with the grassroots to know exactly what their problems are and ensuring that they feed the Government House back with respect to the challenges the people are going through in their locality,” the governor’s aide said.
Governor Obaseki made a similar appointment six months ago when he picked 192 people from each of the wards in the state and made them his special assistants.
“The Edo State government appointees are comparatively the lowest in number in all the states of the federation,” Mr. Osagie said.
“You have 18 commissioners, eight special advisers and 210 special assistants and 58 senior special assistants. In all, we have less than 400 political appointees. In other states, you have up to 1,000 appointees.
“The value these people bring to the government far outweighs the money spent on them,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku