The National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, has promised to decentralise power of the party’s national leaders to state executive committees.
Mr. Secondus said this on Monday in Abuja at the handover of the party leadership by the Ahmed Makarfi-led National Caretaker Committee to the new national leadership of the party elected at Saturday’s national convention.
He said that the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party would empower the states’ executive committees so that attention could be focused on regaining power in 2019.
“Let me assure the state chapters and our state chairmen that from today, you will have full powers to operate to make sure that our party progresses in the right direction.
“I will empower you on behalf of the EXCO.
“We will decentralise power from the centre so that we will be less busy here to focus on same mission to reclaim our lost grounds in 2019,” Mr. Secondus said.
He assured that with the taking over of party leadership by a new executive committee led by him, there would be no more impunity in PDP.
“The old order is gone. We will operate in the new order. There will be transparency in primaries,” he said.
The chairman said the first assignment for NWC would be reconciliation among party members, especially candidates at the just-concluded convention.
He said the work of reconciliation had started and expressed optimism that it would be productive.
He added that the gate of PDP was open to all party members, especially those who left, irrespective of their religious beliefs and class.
“This is the only platform that does not belong to any group or big man. This is a party that provides for the big, the small and the less-privileged.”
Mr. Secondus said the All Progressives Congress (APC) was running a broken government, and pledged that PDP would rescue and rebuild the country.
He said his leadership would not be distracted by the “false propaganda” of the ruling party.
Mr. Secondus said the new executive would come up with its policies and plan for a retreat, which would hold in next couple of days
He commended Mr. Makarfi for accomplishing the mission the party bestowed on him even in the trying moments of the party.
He added that Mr. Makarfi also organised the best convention in the history of any political party in the nation at a time people were so sacred and afraid that there would be nothing like PDP again.
“You are our hero. History will remember you.
“We need you to stand by because your advice and input will be very useful, if we must move forward,’’ he said.
Earlier, Mr. Makarfi had advised the new executive to ensure that the party won the 2019 general elections.
He also urged it to focus on reconciliation, and appealed to party members to work together with the new leadership.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku