No fewer than 10,000 refugees fleeing from political crisis in the Republic of Cameroon are being sheltered in two different camps in Benue State, the government has said.
The refugees, who were mainly women, children and the elderly, were in need of humanitarian assistance, especially food, medical care and shelter. This challenge, according to the state government, was coming when efforts were being intensified by the government to tackle incessant attacks on people of the state by armed Fulani herdsmen, who invaded and killed residents of Guma and Logo communities following implementation of the Anti-Open Grazing Prohibition Law by the state.
While addressing journalists on the humanitarian situation in the camps, the Executive Secretary of Benue State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Mr. Emmanuel Shior, unveiled the government’s plans to merge and relocate the two refugee camps from their current locations in some primary schools to Monkwav in Kwande Local Government Area of the state for easy access.
Shior lamented constraints by the state government to provide humanitarian aid to the refugees whose numbers were increasing by the day and called for immediate intervention of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) and other humanitarian organisations.
Some of the refugees- Aya Moreis, Ongono Endurance and Osa Ferdinand Tersoo told the visiting team that they were victims of political marginalisation in the Republic of Cameroon. The refugees, who thanked the state government for providing them with food, shelter and security, however, appealed for more assistance in the area of healthcare, water supply and clothing materials.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku