The Anambra State Police Command has redeployed 4,300 policemen to different locations in the State, for the Anambra Central Senatorial district election rerun holding on Saturday.
The Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Garba Umar, disclosed this on Wednesday at a press conference in Amawbia.
He said three policemen would man each of the 1,448 polling units in the seven local government areas involved.
The commissioner also said movement would be restricted in the seven LGAs.
He warned any group planning to foment trouble during the poll to have a rethink or be prepared to face the wrath of the law.
His statement read in part, “The Anambra State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that the Anambra State Central Senatorial election is scheduled to take place on the 13th January, 2018 at 109 wards of the seven LGAs of the state.
“Based on the above, the command wishes to inform the public that there will be restriction of movement within the affected local government areas.”
He listed the affected LGAs as Awka North, Awka South, Dunukofia, Njikoka, Idemili North, Idemili South and Anaocha.
He said, “The police and other security agencies are ready to ensure that the electioneering and voting on 13th January, 2018 are conducted smoothly without public disturbance; and assure all political parties, candidates, supporters, including the general public of their safety throughout the period of voting and collation.
“Anambra State is known for peaceful conduct of elections; I urge residents to be peaceful and orderly on the election day”.
Reminded of a Federal High Court judgment on December 13 which pronounced Chief Obiora Okonkwo the senator of the district, Umar said, “Nobody has served us with any court order stopping the election.
“Besides, police don’t conduct elections. INEC conducts elections and the commission has informed us that we should assist them to conduct the January 13 election and we shall do.
“If anybody foments any trouble during the election, we shall decisively deal with such person or persons, no matter how highly placed.”
Source: (Punch Newspaper)
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku