The Taraba state government has revealed the rationale behind the consistent killing of residents by some killer herdsmen. The governor of the state, Darius Ishaku, said the increased killing by herdsmen in the state can be attributed to territorial control between farmers and the herders, The Nation reports. Ishaku also blamed some elite in the state for masterminding the violent activities of the herdsmen for political and economic gains.
Also speaking at a mass burial of some of 25 victims of herdsmen attack in Taraba state on Tuesday, January 9, the media assistant to the governor, Bala Dan-Abu amid tears said: “You know, I don’t like witnessing a funeral; what more, a mass burial like this.” Further posting on his Facebook page, Dan-Abu said most victims of the attack by the herders were women, children and the aged. He said 25 bodies were recovered from burnt houses, bush paths and nearby farms on Tuesday.
Dan-Abu said: “Tears flowed freely on Tuesday in several communities in Lau, Taraba State, as youths in the area buried 25 corpses of their parents and children murdered last weekend by Fulani herdsmen who invaded their villages. “Most of those killed were women, children and the aged who could not escape the gun and knife wielding herdsmen who invaded their communities at about 3pm on Friday, January 5. “At least 25 corpses recovered from burnt houses, bush paths and nearby farms where the victims tried to hide from the killer Fulani herdsmen were buried on Tuesday.
“A combined team of armed soldiers and police men provided them security cover to enable them complete the funeral rites. “Many of the youths spoke of their missing relations, burnt houses, farms, food items and other valuables as they sobbed profusely while talking to a group of jourlaists that visited them in Abari where most of those who survived the attacks escaped to.
“The Lau attack is the latest act of unprovoked aggression against communities in Taraba State by Fulani herdsmen. No fewer than 55 lives were lost, according to the accounts of the villagers while over 200 houses were burnt.” Meanwhile, the Taraba state police spokesperson, David Misal, said the situation in the state and area affected was calm. Misal said: “Enough security personnel have been deployed in the area. What we are doing now is to build confidence in the people.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku