The senator representing Kaduna Central, Shehu Sani, has described as ‘misinformed’ President Muhammadu Buhari’s support for the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-rufai, over the latter’s plan to sack about 21,780 teachers in the state.
President Buhari in November 2017 publicly backed the governor’s educational reforms including the decision to sack the teachers who failed the competency test conducted by the state government.
The state government said the reforms are to ensure efficiency of the education sector. It said over 25,000 competent graduates will be employed in a transparent way to replace the sacked teachers.
Reacting to this on Thursday, Mr. Sani said the president’s support for the sack indicates ‘tyranny’ and ‘facism’ against the workers.
“President Buhari’s misinformed support for Elrufai’s sack of Kaduna teachers after an illegal and premeditated sack of Kaduna Teachers emboldened tyranny, aided fascism and abetted arbitrariness of the governor against workers in the state,” he said.
The lawmaker condemned the decision of the state government to ban a ‘peaceful protest’ of the workers.
At a press briefing in Kaduna on Wednesday, the spokesperson of Governor Nasir El-Rufai, Samuel Aruwan, said security agencies had decided not to allow the protest hold because protesters had attacked the State House of Assembly and destroyed public properties during a similar protest in November last year, also organised by the NLC.
Mr. Sani in a statement he released on Thursday declared support for the protesting workers.
“I wholeheartedly support the rights of Kaduna State teachers and workers to embark on strike and hold peaceful rallies and procession.
“The state government has no constitutional rights to ban peaceful protest or intimidate or blackmail workers using the police.
“Sponsored pro-government protest has been organised on many occasions by the state government and its agents. Why should workers be denied the rights to protest?”
Mr. Sani advised the governor to go after kidnappers and herdsmen instead of the workers.
“Mr El-rufai should order the police to go after Herdsmen and Kidnappers that had made Kaduna State their national headquarters and not after unionists, activists, journalists and perceived critics of his administration. Mr El-rufai, if you are really brave and courageous, go after herdsmen and kidnappers and not workers and teachers,” he added.
Despite the announced ban on the rally and the deployment of thousands of security operatives to foil it, the NLC still held the march in Kaduna on Thursday.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku