The political war between Akwa Ibom Governor, Udom Emmanuel, and the Senate Minority Leader, Godswill Akpabio, has escalated, with some leaders in the state accusing Mr. Akpabio of trying to blackmail the governor.
The leaders, drawn from the Akwa Ibom North-East Senatorial District, said in a communique dated January 7 that Mr. Akpabio’s claim on his senatorial district being marginalised was a “calculated statement of calumny, blackmail, and arm-twisting”.
The communique was signed by a former military governor of the state, Idongesit Nkanga, two former senators, Anietie Okon and Effiong Bob, and 21 other leaders.
Interestingly, Messrs. Nkanga, Okon, Bob, and several of those who signed the communique were Mr. Akpabio’s allies before now.
The leaders also accused the senator of trying to cause ethnic rift in the state.
They said Mr. Akpabio was not thoughtful in his comment against the governor, and reminded the senator of several projects he abandoned in other senatorial districts, “despite the favourable resources he received during the eight years he served as the governor of the state”.
They mentioned, for instance the terminal building at Ibom International Airport, Ibom Tropicana Hotel, Ibom Specialist Hospital, Eket-Etinan Road, Itak Okoita-Use Ikot Amama Road.
“Reality must admit that Senator Akpabio in the eight years as Governor of the state did not even complete and commission one kilometre of road in the core oil producing areas of the state where Governor Udom Emmanuel comes from.
“In the interests of peace and unity, the Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District should caution Senator Godswill Akpabio to desist from making unfounded utterances intended to create ethnic conflicts in Akwa Ibom State to serve his personal benefit.
“We encourage Senator Godswill Akpabio to respect conventions, values, and principles that would sustain the prevailing peace in the state and allow the sleeping dog to lie.
“We debunk and disagree totally with the insinuation made by Senator Godswill Akpabio that “all is not well” and declare boldly that it is well with us.
“We are strongly persuaded that despite Senator Akpabio’s declared fears and, uncertainty in the ‘route’ he will take in 2019, it is well, and shall, indeed, be well with Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Akwa Ibom state and His Excellency, Governor Udom Emmanuel,” they said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku