The Chairman Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Abdullahi Candido, on Thursday presented N6.92 billion budget for 2018 fiscal year, representing an increase of 11.76 per cent from last year’s budget.
Presenting the budget at the legislative chambers in Abuja, Mr. Candido said the 2018 budget of reality and consolidation was aimed at addressing growing needs of the communities and build on the existing foundation for grassroots development.
He said that the administration has allocated N3.7 billion for recurrent expenditure, representing 45.77 per cent and N3.7 billion for capital expenditure, representing 54.23 per cent of the budget.
The chairman explained that the budget followed zero budgeting system to eliminate inefficiency and focus on activities that has direct bearing on the lives of the citizens.
He said the personnel cost was N2 billion representing 29.21 per cent and the overhead was N1.16 billion, saying that the increase is mainly for staff promotion arrears, annual increment and possible recruitment of confidential secretaries.
“The works and housing department, which is saddled with the supervision and provision of critical infrastructures, got N1.8 billion of the entire budget making it the highest.”
He also noted that about N40 million was allocated for the commencement of the AMAC Community Radio in the first quarter of the year.
The chairman also noted that the administration had begun to pay some debts owned contractors by previous administration.
According to him, the council has instituted a Micro Finance Bank to collect its revenue and to finance the various projects to further service the people.
He, however, hope that the council would expedite action accordingly so as to commence implementation soon.
The Speaker of the AMAC legislative council, Michael Shanyibwa commended the chairman and promised to act accordingly on the proposed budget.
Some of the staff of the council expressed satisfaction over the presentation of the budget and called for speedy passage of the budget.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku