The Court of Appeal on Thursday refused to stop Saturday’s scheduled election for Anambra Central senatorial district from taking place.
The electoral commission, INEC, had fixed January 13 for the election to fill the seat that has been vacant since 2015 due to various court cases.
INEC’s decision followed a 2017 judgement by the Court of Appeal. However, after that judgement, the Peoples Democratic Party secured a Federal High Court order that one of its aspirants for the original election in 2015, Obiora Okonkwo, be declared the winner and sworn in as senator.
The PDP has since asked INEC not to proceed with Saturday’s election; a stance opposed by the governing party in the state, APGA.
While that controversy raged, a former senator, Annie Okonkwo approached the Court of Appeal seeking to be the PDP candidate for Saturday’s election.
According to a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES by an INEC official, Rotimi Oyekanmi, “Mr. Okonkwo approached the Court of Appeal as an interested party. He argued that he was the rightful candidate of the PDP for Anambra Central Senatorial District election 2015.”
“He prayed the court to stop INEC from conducting the election on Saturday 13th January, 2018 pending the hearing and determination of his application for leave to appeal against the court decision of 20th November, 2017 which ordered INEC to conduct the re-run election within 90 days without the PDP and its candidate.
“The court held that the application was not ripe for hearing as some of the respondents were not served with the court process. Consequently, the court cannot approbate and reprobate at the same time. Having ordered INEC to conduct the election, the court cannot now order the commission to do otherwise.”
Although Mr. Oyekanmi did not state so, INEC appears to see the appeal court decision as a vindication of its stance to proceed with the election.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku