Deposit Money Banks and all Microfinance Banks in the Federal Capital Territory received a target from the Central Bank of Nigeria towards achieving the 80 per cent financial inclusion target for all adult population in Nigeria by 2020.
The apex bank also inaugurated a Financial Inclusion State Steering Committee to boost the implementation of its 80 per cent financial inclusion strategy.
The National Financial Inclusion Strategy was launched on October 23, 2012, and the overall target was to reduce the percentage of adult Nigerians excluded from access to financial services from 46.3 per cent in 2010 to 20 per cent in 2020.
But with three years to the 2020 target, Nigeria is currently battling 41.6 per cent exclusion rate as revealed by the access to financial services survey of 2016 conducted by Enhancing Financing Innovation and Access.
The Branch Controller, CBN, Abuja Branch, Elizabeth Agu, said the financial exclusion rate of 41.6 per cent was still very low compared to the apex bank’s target of 80 per cent.
This, she added, underscores the need to work hard on the exclusion rate from this year till 2020.
She said to achieve the target, the CBN has set a target of 1,500 for DMBs in FCT to open new savings account for customers while MFBs were given 2,500 new accounts.
For credit customers, she said the CBN has set a target of 600 new customers for DMBs while MFBs were given 1,000 new accounts.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku