Governor Tanko Al-Makura and other stakeholders in Nasarawa State have denied the allegation by Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue that Nasarawa State is harbouring killer herdsmen in Tunga, Awe local Government Area.
Mr. Al-Makura, while making a presentation at a stakeholders’ meeting convened by the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, in Lafia on Thursday, described the allegation as “grievous, unacceptable and terribly speculative”.
He said the Benue governor’s accusation that Nasarawa State had camped killer herdsmen to attack his state was a stigma and an aspersion on the state.
“This is an unfair comment to make of Nasarawa State, especially that we enjoy very cordial relationship and can always be reached with any evidence in that regard.
“In any case, the onus of proof lies with the accuser and I would appeal to my colleague to avail security operatives with the details of where he thinks the killer herdsmen are being camped.
“I can assure you as the chief security officer of the state that we would give the police all the necessary support to comb every part of the state to ascertain whether there is any such thing,” Mr. Al-Makura added.
He said he had never received any security reports from the state either from security officers or his administrative detail of the existence of such killer herdsmen camping in Nasarawa State.
Mr. Al-Makura pointed out that Awe, where the killer herdsmen were allegedly being camped, had become a sanctuary for displaced persons, mostly of Tiv extraction, from both states.
Similarly, the Emir of Tunga, Bala Galadima, expressed worry over the allegation.
He said there was no such camp in Tunga as the people in the area had a security apparatus in place to detect strangers among them.
Mr. Galadima said many Tiv people were fleeing their homes in panic because of the attacks in Benue and noted that farmers and herdsmen in the area had lived peacefully over the years.
The Emir of Lafia, Mustapha Agwai I, described the statement credited to Mr. Ortom as hate speech and urged the stakeholders to condemn it.
He urged leaders to desist from making unguarded statements capable of breaching the peace.
The Emir of Azara, Ibrahim Musa, said there was no crisis in Nasarawa State but panic attack orchestrated by poor implementation of the anti-open grazing law in Benue.
He called on the federal government to investigate the implementation of the law to ascertain the provision of ranches and other facilities as spelt out by the law in Benue.
However, some stakeholders of Tiv extraction said some of their kinsmen were killed in the attacks.
The Nasarawa State Commissioner for Environment, Gabriel Aka’aka, expressed worry over the alleged attack on Tiv people in Nasarawa State when they had nothing to do with the anti-open grazing law in Benue.
He stressed the need for security reinforcement along the border communities to apprehend the “mysterious killers” in the areas.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?